Open Until Filled
Reporting to the Leader, Infrastructure and Technology, this intermediate level Systems Administrator role will be responsible for building and managing Engineers and Geoscientists BC’s physical and virtual networks, servers, and storage systems.
Network and Data Center Administration
- Manage physical networks and wireless equipment such as switches, routers, firewalls, network wiring, peripheral connections, and access points.
- Manage power distribution, UPSs, and rack mounted servers, and
- Manage Storage Area Networks between VMware ESXi servers and SAN environment.
Microsoft Windows Administration
- Manage Windows Server operating systems.
- Manage Active Directory and supporting technologies such as DNS, DHCP, Group Policies, DFRS, Certificate Services, NLB and Clustering, and
- Manage Microsoft services such as MSSQL, IIS, RDP, and Exchange and File sharing.
- Manage VMware vSphere.
- Manage virtual machines in a clustered high availability VMware environment, and
- Manage connections and provisioning of SAN storage for the VMware environment.
Backups, Recovery, and Test Environment Administration
- Manage Veeam backup system.
- Restore data from backup systems.
- Test backup systems on a regular basis, and
- Create virtual recovery labs to test system upgrades, new products, and production environment changes.
Disaster Recovery and Replication Administration
- Manage Zerto and VMware to meet DR RPO and RTO objectives.
- Maintain the DR infrastructure and the replication network, and
- Bring the DR environment live in the event of a primary data center failure.
Project and Work Management
- Manage IT infrastructure project timelines while maintaining existing systems.
- Resolve conflicts between concurrent project and maintenance objectives, and
- Provide progress updates to management and IT staff.
- Research and procure software and hardware for the IT environment, and
- Work with vendors on system updates, upgrades and problem resolution.
- Diploma in systems or network IT administration, and
- Minimum 3–5 years of experience in system administration including experience in:
- Windows (required) and Linux operating systems
- Microsoft Active Directory
- Networking technologies
- VMware technologies
- Experience with desktop and server hardware maintenance
- Storage Area Networks
- VMware technology knowledge and/or certifications, and
- In-depth knowledge of:
- Netapp SAN technologies or comparable solutions
- Microsoft technologies
- Veeam technologies or comparable solutions
- Zerto replication or comparable solutions
- Network switch’s, firewalls, ACL rulesets, VLAN’s, routing, etc.
- Experience working with enterprise infrastructure environments
The position will require the successful candidate to demonstrate that he or she has:
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Strong judgement and decision-making skills.
- The ability to be accountable and work with minimal supervision, and
- The ability to work and interact in a professional office environment.
- Willingness to work overtime and weekends when needed.
- Ability to lift 40 lbs. unassisted, and
- Willingness to travel (multi-day trip) occasionally.
Engineers and Geoscientists BC is responsible for the licensing and regulation of BC’s professional engineers and geoscientists. With over 34,000 members, we are the second largest regulatory body in the province. We offer a compensation package that includes a competitive salary, generous benefit program including a group health program, group retirement program, generous vacation allowances, and a flex day program that offers compressed workweeks.
To apply for this position please send your cover letter and resume
in one PDF document to Human Resources at