November 7, 2019
Open Until Filled
The Communications Officer plans and executes a range of corporate communication and stakeholder engagement activities and programs to support the strategic goals of the organization. This includes developing and implementing communication and outreach strategies, managing key corporate communications activities including social media, and providing support for media relations, association events, and the member awards program.
- Plans and executes communication and stakeholder engagement programs and activities including general communication support to internal and external stakeholders; identifies opportunities for improvement and makes adjustments where required. Works collaboratively with other areas of the organization to ensure the effective implementation and application of corporate communication and stakeholder engagement plans, services, and initiatives; identifies and/or resolves potential issues.
- Provides key support for the planning and execution of long-term communication plans and public relations campaigns to support the delivery of initiatives in the association’s strategic plan.
- Develops messaging and creates communications support materials and collateral for the association’s corporate communications, public relations, and stakeholder engagement activities.
- Manages the association’s social media strategy. This may include creating content, responding to inquiries, producing copy for others, tracking key metrics, and identifying opportunities to make improvements.
- Supports the association’s media relations efforts by tracking media inquiries, identifying key spokespeople, and providing support for media preparation for interviews, drafting key messages, and tracking metrics. Identifies media trends relevant to the association. Writes, publishes, and distributes news releases on behalf of the association.
- Manages the operational aspects of the association’s awards program. Duties include award promotion for all the association’s awards, providing information to nominators, facilitating the selection of award recipients, receiving and organizing incoming nominations, and liaising with award winners.
- Manages all aspects related to the presentation of the awards at the association’s Annual Conference, including video production, event organization, script writing, and on-site management. Negotiates with vendors, contractors, and suppliers. Prepares and supports key VIPs, award winners, and other dignitaries.
- Reviews and audits key registrant communications to ensure alignment with the organization’s brand and corporate communication style guide. Provides input in the review of the association’s website for enhancements that support changes to business functions (e.g., Corporate Practice Program). Participates in the organization and on-site delivery of the Annual Conference and Annual General Meeting. Participates in outreach and engagement event support as needed.
- Participates in the development of budgets for programs supported by this position, including portions of the public relations program (approximately $65,000) and is accountable for managing expenditures within these programs. Negotiates and confirms contracts with service providers independently.
- Travel required for this role includes occasional multi-day, overnight trips, and day travel within the Lower Mainland.
- 5–7 years of progressive experience in communications or public relations including experience with:
- Planning and executing communication programs;
- Supporting internal and external stakeholders with focus on stakeholder engagement;
- Managing social media;
- Involvement with and supporting media relations;
- Event planning;
- Working with an association and/or in a regulatory environment is a nice to have; and
- A university degree in communications, public relations or a related field is required.
Engineers and Geoscientists BC is responsible for the licensing and regulation of BC’s professional engineers and geoscientists. With over 37,000 members, we are the second largest regulatory body in the province. We offer a compensation package that includes a competitive salary, generous benefit program including a group health program, group retirement program, generous vacation allowances, and an optional flex day program that offers compressed workweeks.
To apply for this position please send your cover letter and resume
in one PDF document to Human Resources at