- gain an understanding of the purpose and role of an alarm management system
- become familiar with typical elements of an alarm management system
- learn key design principles of an alarm management system
- understand the relationship between alarm management and risk management
- become familiar with common deficiencies and other problems of alarm management systems
- learn some strategies for evaluating, monitoring and improving an alarm management system
General familiarity with risk management concepts as well as familiarity with at least one instance of an alarm management system.
The tentative outline is:
Fundamental Design Principles
System Architecture and Design
Human Factors Considerations
Potential Problems and Issues
Integration with Safety Management
Life Cycle Support
Jeffrey Joyce, P. Eng. – Critical Systems Labs Inc.
Dr. Jeffrey Joyce, P.Eng is the co-founder of a Vancouver-based engineering consultancy, Critical Systems Labs, which is internationally recognized for its expertise in the specification, analysis and verification of safety-critical software-intensive systems. Dr. Joyce’s recent and current clients cover a wide spectrum of technical domains ranging from autonomous vehicles to nuclear fusion reactors. He earned a Ph.D. from the University of Cambridge (UK) in 1990 with earlier degrees from the University of Calgary and the University of Waterloo. Dr. Joyce has been certified as a TÜV Functional Safety Engineering since 2009.