The main objective of this course is to provide the participants with a general idea of different aspects of urban tunnelling. After completing the course participants should be able to estimate and mitigate the risks, conduct geotechnical investigation and reports, calculate ground settlement, design segmental lining, select the type of TBM, and supervise tunnel construction.
Who Should Attend
Municipal engineers, designers, operation and maintenance staff, developers, planners, consultants, engineers, contractors, other technical personnel responsible for tunnel design, construction, and management.
After participating in the course, you will be able to:
- Introduction of urban tunneling
- Risk analysis
- Tunnel planning
- Geotechnical investigation for tunneling
- Geotechnical baseline report
- TBM types and selection
- Design of precast segmental lining
- Tunneling- induced settlements and impact assessment
- Tunnel construction control
- Brief introduction of cut-andcover station
- Use acquired knowledge and skills gained on your projects
- Implement requirements, procedures and techniques for safe and effective design and construction
- Practice urban tunneling safety precautions
Dr. Jinyuan Liu, P.E., P.Eng., is an Associate Professor of Geotechnical Engineering at Ryerson University. He has over seven years’ experience in tunnel design and analysis: Working as a Tunnel Engineer with Jacobs Engineering Group in Detroit, MI for a 12km 9 m diameter Upper Rouge Tunnel Project and on Stanford Linear Accelerator project, a drill-and-blast rock tunnel project in CA; As a Senior Geotechnical Engineer with STV Inc on the East Side Access Project, a $ 6.8b transit tunnel project in NYC; As a Field Engineer for two years on protection of buildings during adjacent subway station excavation using compensation grouting and dewatering in Shanghai, China. He is a member of CGS, DFI, and CSCE and has served as Co-Editor for two International Conferences in the past. He has participated in various research projects. Dr. Liu has published over 70 articles in refereed journals and conferences.