Essential project planning and control tools are presented, such as the critical path method (CPM) for project scheduling, the earned value analysis (EVM) for cost control, the net present value technique (NPV) for alternative analysis, and the decision tree analysis for risk quantification. The basic objective of the seminar is to combine management fundamentals with practical tools to enable the participants to manage and control their projects effectively.
Course Outline and Description
1. Introduction and Initiating Processes
- The Project Life Cycle
- Types of Organizations and the Roles of Project Managers
- Contracts Forms, Project Delivery Systems, Selection Criteria and Key success factors
- The Use of Net Present Value (NPV) Technique in Selecting Projects
- The Project Charter: an invaluable tool in defining and planning a project
- Workshop to Create a Generic Project Charter
2. Planning Processes
- Detailing the Project Charter and Creation of Deliverables
- Work Breakdown Structures (WBS): An Effective Planning Strategy
- Workshop to Create WBS
- Defining Activities and Sequencing
- Human Resources Responsibility Assignment Matrix (RAM)
- Planning Schedules and Budgets
- The Critical Path Method and Cash Flow Estimation
- Workshop to Solve Network Diagram using the Critical Path Method (CPM)
- Risk Breakdown Structures, Assessment, Quantification, and Response Planning
- Workshop to Assess Project Risks and Solving a Decision Tree
3. Execution, Tracking and Control processes
- Project kick-off meeting
- Tracking and Control
- Progress Reports and Meetings
- Managing Issues, Risks, and Changes
- Quality Assurance versus Quality Control
- The Use of Earned Value Method (EVM) in Cost Control and Forecasting
4. Closing Processes
- Scope Verification and Administrative closure
- Benefits tracking
After attending this seminar, the participants shall:
- Understand the need to create a project charter during project initiation by filling out its basic components through a practical example.
- Understand the advantages and disadvantages of different contracts forms and project delivery systems.
- Learn the basic roles of the project manager in managing and integrating projects and basic HR management Skills.
- Create the work breakdown structure (WBS) and using it as the basis for effective estimation and scheduling of project activities through practical examples.
- Create and reading bar (Gantt) charts and node networks, activity sequencing, and estimating durations using a variety of techniques through practical examples.
- Understand the basics of resource management and establishing a resource responsibility matrix (RAM) .
- Learn the basics of project risk management from the creation of the risk break down structure to planning and controlling risk responses.
- Use forms and reports in managing issues, risks and changes.
- Control projects using the Earned Value Management (EVM) to manage time and cost performance.
- Understand the basic needs for project closing from scope verification to project post-mortem .
Who Should Attend?
This seminar is intended for Engineers and other professionals involved in planning, executing, and monitoring and controlling projects to help better plan, manage, and control medium to large sized projects. Basic understanding of project management knowledge is not required.
Mohamed Elbarkouky, PhD, P.Eng.
Dr. Elbarkouky is an expert in project management and control. He has more than 17 years of practical experience in his field of practice. He managed and controlled a large number of complex projects in Canada, the U.S., Europe, Africa, and the Middle East. He has extensive experience of oil and gas, power plants, infrastructure, and building construction projects. Dr. Elbarkouky has a Ph.D. in construction engineering and management from the University of Alberta. He is also a Professional Engineer in Alberta and a Project Management Professional (PMP) of the PMI. He is the CEO of a project management training organization that is specialized in teaching professional and academic courses in project management, risk analysis,contract administration, scheduling, cost estimation, and project planning and control in Alberta, Saskatchewan, BC, and NWT.
PMP, Project Management Training Solutions LTD