This event is part of National Engineering and Geoscience Month (NEGM); an annual celebration of engineering and geoscience across Canada. The goal of this event is to promote the awareness of the engineering and geoscience professions, showcase career choices and the many ways in which engineering and geoscience relate to our everyday life.
To achieve this goal, the Richmond/Delta Branch of APEGBC has worked with academic, industry, and community organizations to bring this full-day, fun-filled event in Richmond. Rain or shine, we will be there. Come out with your family and friends and enjoy your day:
- Watch the Community Science Show of the Science World at 11:30 AM
- Browse through the engineering students' projects
- Visit the information booths of engineering companies
- Learn about the works of Engineering division of the City of Richmond
- Participate in contests and competitions
- Test your Popsicle Stick Bridge (read the details below)
- Learn more and win prizes
Popsicle Stick Bridge Competition
The competition is designed for three age groups:
To participate in this competition, please see the registration section below.
- Grade 10 and under (1:00 PM to 1:30 PM)
- Grade 11 and 12 (1:30 PM - 2:00 PM)
- Post-secondary students and others (2:00 PM - 2:30 PM).
Only the bridges that are constructed with the materials obtained from the APEGBC Richmond/Delta Branch and according to the rules and instructions will be allowed to participate in the competition.
Your bridge will be tested using the famous bridge tester to destruction. The bridge that can carry the highest load would be chosen as the winner of the competition. The winners of each age group will be awarded with prizes.
Registration (for Popsicle Bridge Competition)
The event is open to everyone to show up and enjoy! For those participating in the Popsicle Stick Bridge Competition, you must:
- Fill out the registration form and send an electronic version to Fardin Barekat at [email protected].
- Give a hard copy to Richmond Public Library (Brighouse) to pick up popsicle sticks and glue, and
- Bring another hard copy on the event day for check-in.
- Be sure to download a copy of the Rules and Instructions. Good luck! Please note: The maximum bridge dimensions must not exceed 200mm in height x 600mm in length, and 125mm in width. See the Rules and Instructions for more info and a diagram. Thank you!
Please register by Feburary 21, 2016. If you have any questions, please contact Fardin Barekat via email.
We are looking for volunteers to help us with the event! Come join the fun by contacting the event organizer Fardin Barekat by email at [email protected]. You will receive an official signed volunteer certificate for helping us with this event.