Day 1: Industrial Power Systems – Design Principles and Protection
- Basic system planning and design considerations.
- Voltage considerations; ratings, selection, controls, drops, dips, flicker, and harmonics.
- Surge voltage protection; travelling waves, switching surges, arresetrs, classes, and selections.
- Grounding; bonding, system grounding, and ground fault considerations.
- Power factor considerations; capacitor bank applications, risks, and harmonic mitigations.
- Power apparatus; circuit breakers and switchgears, transformers, motors, power distribution, and motor control centers.
- Cable systems.
Day 2: Industrial Power Systems – Protection and Coordination
- Safety and planning system protection.
- Short circuit calculations.
- Instrument transformers.
- Selection and application of protective relays.
- Low voltage circuit breakers.
- Ground fault protection.
- Conductor protection.
- Motor protection.
- Transformer protection.
- Generator protection.
- Bus and switchgear protection.
- Supply line protection.
- Over-current coordination.
- Maintenance, testing, and calibrations of protective relays.
Who Should Attend
This course is essential for engineers, technologists, managers, or technical supervisors who are involved in industrial plants operation, maintenance, or new industrial projects such as power generation plants, mining, oil and gas, pulp and paper, chemical or cement plants, municipal water treatments or pump stations, or any other industrial power system. Topics are presented in practical aspects arising from extensive experience of the instructor in this field. This course is a must for young electrical engineers and excellent refresher for experienced engineers.
Ali Mihirig, BASc, MASc, PhD, P.Eng.
AM Power Systems Inc.
Dr. Ali Mihirig, P.Eng., graduated with B.A.Sc in electrical engineering from the University of Tripoli in 1978, earned M.A.Sc and Ph.D degrees from the University of British Columbia, Vancouver, in 1984 and 1987 respectively. Ali is the president of AM Power Systems Inc. and has over 30 years of consulting experience with industrial and utility power systems including system studies and analysis, design, protection and control, operation, and field commissioning. Ali has been working as leading consultant and power system specialist for various industrial and utility projects around the world.
He is the author of several technical papers and taught many short courses and tutorials for clients and professional conferences. Dr. Mihirig, is registered professional engineer in the Provinces of British Columbia and a senior member of IEEE.