- Have a good understanding of the types of distribution of the lateral loads within the building.
- Be capable of designing different steel bracing types.
- Understand the design of a solid shear wall.
- Design foundation to support the lateral loads.
- Check the stability of the buildings, and
- Follow the NBCC requirements in the design.
The attendees shall be capable of calculating the lateral loads on the building. It is preferred to attend Part 1 of this course.
- Basics of the design of small buildings
- Different types of bracing system
- Design requirement of structural steel members under tension
- Special effects on the design of steel structures
- Design of a solid shear wall
- Special requirements on the concrete walls
- Diaphragm design
- Effect of the lateral loads on the foundations
- Stability of the building and foundation
- Soil pressure and retaining walls
- Code requirements
- Civil engineers
- Structural engineers
- Consulting architects and engineers
- Construction engineers
- Fabricators and manufacturers of structural systems
- Municipal building officials
- Field inspectors
Founder, CAN Consulting Engineering
Dr. Saleh has over 23 years of experience in teaching, research, design, and consulting in the area of structural design in Canada, Germany, and the Middle East. He is experienced in steel and concrete, including pre-stressed and pre-caste concrete structures, concrete technology. He has participated in different research topics such as walls of high strength concrete, fibre reinforced concrete, and precast concrete columns.
Dr. Saleh has been teaching in Germany, Canada, Dubai, and Egypt and has assisted in publication of a structural design concrete book in Germany based on the European Codes. Dr. Saleh has worked with world-renowned consulting offices such as Halcrow Yolles in Toronto, Buro Happold in Dubai, and NORR Ltd. in Toronto. He has worked with developers, architects, and project managers on high-rise, midrise office, residential, and institutional buildings. Dr. Saleh is the founder of CAN Consulting in Toronto.