This course begins with an overview of the basic functions of asphalt concrete pavements and includes the following primary modules:
- Construction project management
- Binder selection
- Mix design
- Asphalt production and delivery
- Asphalt mixture placement
- Asphalt compaction
- Quality assurance and lessons learned
- Links of design and construction to performance
The course is designed for all levels of municipal involvement in the management, delivery, and maintenance of roads, highways, municipal sidewalks, and recreational trails including asset management, capital construction, inspection and testing staff, operations and maintenance, consultants, and contractor staff.
- Municipal engineering and technical staff involved in the construction and maintenance of sidewalks and recreational trails.
- Consultants and contractors involved in the design and construction of sidewalks and recreational trails.
- Asset management and operations staff.
- Personnel involved in the physical summer and winter maintenance of sidewalks and recreational trails.
- Inspection and testing personnel, and
- Contractor staff involved in the production, transportation, and placement of asphalt concrete.
Principal, Applied Research Associates (ARA)
Mr. Hein is a Principal Pavement Engineer with Applied Research Associates (ARA). ARA is a science and engineering firm specializing in practical solutions to everyday problems. Mr. Hein has been involved in the design and construction of pavements ranging from parking areas to major highways and airport runways. He is the Past Chair of the World Road Association Pavements Committee and has completed training courses for over 10,000 participants across North America. Mr. Hein led the ARA team that completed a public realm treatment assessment including roads and sidewalks for the City of Vancouver and has been involved with ARA’s extensive data collection and assessment of the sidewalk infrastructure in the District of Columbia. This included a complete inventory of all sidewalk assets with GPS location referencing and assessment with Americans with Disability Act compliance.