The purpose of the course is to teach attendees how to design different shoring systems. The design examples show the safe and proven calculation techniques for shoring design that can be applied to most excavation shoring situations. The course explains why proper shoring construction procedures are important to create a successful shoring system. Finally, the proper installation procedures are explained.
Municipal engineers, designers, operation and maintenance staff, developers, planners, consultants, engineers, other technical personnel responsible for shoring design, construction ,and management.
- Welcome, Introduction, Workshop Preview, Learning Outcomes, and the Assessment Method
- Review of soil mechanics
- Soil origins
- Soil classification
- Effective and total stresses
- Shear strength
- Shoring design and construction
- Lateral earth pressures
- Apparent earth pressure diagrams in braced cuts
- Introduction to different shoring systems
- Retaining walls
- Shoring design and construction (Cont'd)
- Sheet pile walls
- Braced cuts
- Solder pile and anchored tieback system
- Case studies
- Trenching design (Cont'd)
- Soil nailing
- Shoring construction and environmental impact
- Environmental regulations
- Deformation assessment and environmental impact
- Case studies
- Questions and answers and feedback to participants on achievement of learning outcomes
- Use acquired knowledge and skills gained.
- Implement requirements, procedures, and techniques for safe, effective, and efficient design, and
- Practice trenching and shoring safety precautions.
Associate Professor, Geotechnical Engineering, Ryerson University
Dr. Jinyuan Liu, P.E., P.Eng., is an Associate Professor of Geotechnical Engineering at Ryerson University. He has over 7 years of industrial experience in various high profile projects: working as a Tunnel Engineer with Jacobs Engineering Group in Detroit, MI, for a 12 km 9 m diameter Upper Rouge Tunnel Project, as a Senior Geotechnical Engineer with STV Inc. on the East Side Access Project, a $ 6.8 billion transit tunnel project in NYC, and as a Field Engineer for building protection during adjacent subway station excavation using compensation grouting and dewatering in Shanghai, China. He is a member of CGS, DFI, and CSCE, and has served as Co-Editor for two international conferences in the past. He has participated in various research projects, including soil nailing manual for highway construction by MTO. Dr. Liu has published over 70 articles in refereed journals and conferences.