- Have a good understanding of the various types of lateral loads and how to account for them in their structural design;
- Be familiar with different lateral load resisting systems and able to develop suitable systems to match their design whether in steel or reinforced concrete; and
- Be familiar with the changes made to NBCC regarding different structural bracing systems.
- Basic concept of wind effect and wind load calculations
- Special wind cases
- Basic concept of seismic effect and seismic load calculations
- Arrangements of the lateral loads resisting system (LLRS) within the buildings
- Distributing the lateral loads on the LLRS
- Calculating the loads on each LLRS member
- Types of diaphragms and their effects
- Civil engineers
- Structural engineers
- Consulting architects and engineers
- Construction engineers
- Fabricators and manufacturers of structural systems
- Municipal building officials
- Field inspectors
Founder, CAN Consulting Engineering
Dr. Saleh has over 23 years of experience in teaching, research, design, and consulting in the area of structural design in Canada, Germany, and the Middle East. He is experienced in steel and concrete, including pre-stressed and pre-caste concrete structures, concrete technology. He has participated in different research topics such as walls of high strength concrete, fibre reinforced concrete, and precast concrete columns.
Dr. Saleh has been teaching in Germany, Canada, Dubai, and Egypt and has assisted in publication of a structural design concrete book in Germany based on the European Codes. Dr. Saleh has worked with world-renowned consulting offices such as Halcrow Yolles in Toronto, Buro Happold in Dubai, and NORR Ltd. in Toronto. He has worked with developers, architects, and project managers on high-rise, midrise office, residential, and institutional buildings. Dr. Saleh is the founder of CAN Consulting in Toronto.