As an introduction, the course begins by explaining different stages of mining projects followed by defining strategic mine planning step. It demonstrates how, by using strategic mine planning techniques, it’s possible to uncover the opportunities and risks in the different stages of mining projects. Open pit mine design techniques are introduced and Lerchs-Grossmann (LG) pit optimization algorithm is explained. Design input parameters and constraints are explained and discussed. The consequence of using different input parameters on the economics of project are explored and discussed. Additional concepts introduced are mill production rate determination, mine production scheduling, and NPV optimization. Most of the topics include case studies and examples of real-life projects. To further develop understanding of mine design concepts, a set of practice examples will be worked through in class, so please bring your laptop to class.
This course will help you and your team achieve the following objectives:
- Introduce the principles of pit optimization and mine planning for those who are involved in the process of making decisions about mining projects;
- Become familiar with the procedures, terms, conditions, limits, and critical inputs of mine design;
- Help readers of technical reports and investors better understand and interpret mine design reports;
- Discuss key mine design terms and concepts (e.g., best case, worst case, base case, cut-off and cut-over grade, strip ratio, metal equivalent, and dilution); and
- Review and discuss certain mine design techniques (e.g., LG algorithm and production scheduling).
- Engineers and geologists involved in mining projects.
- Managers and directors of exploration and mining companies.
- Bankers, financial professionals, and investors.
- Project managers who are not familiar with mine design.
SRK Consulting (Canada) Inc.
Anoush Ebrahimi is a mining engineer who has worked for open pit mines, consulting companies, and universities. Anoush has more than 25 years of experience in mine planning and design and has designed multiple small and large open pit mines in Canada and abroad, including copper, gold, molybdenum, poly metal, coal, manganese, phosphate, bauxite, and oil sand projects. He has worked on mining projects from conceptual studies through to construction. Anoush specializes in strategic mine planning, mine evaluation, open pit optimization and design, production scheduling, mine layout optimization, mine simulation, and computer modelling.
Dr. Ebrahimi is a principal consultant at SRK Consulting (Canada) Inc and an adjunct professor at the University of British Columbia.