In early 2007, BC Hydro and BCIT embarked on a joint research initiative and began the process of designing and constructing Canada's first Smart Power Microgrid at BCIT's Burnaby campus. The Smart Microgrid Initiative at BCIT advances the state of Smart Grid on a global scale, working to:
- Chart a "path from lab to field" for cost-effective technologies and solutions for Canada's evolving Smart Electricity Grid.
- Provide opportunities for electrical utility companies, technology providers, and researchers to work together to develop architectures, protocols, configurations, and models of the evolving Smart Grid.
- Enable Canadian researchers to develop and validate technologies required to meet Canada’s priorities for co-generation, efficient transmission, and distribution of electricity, load control, demand response, advanced metering, and integration of clean energy sources into the existing and future grids.
BCIT's Smart Microgrid is comprised of:
- Command and control, and
- Communication systems.
- 12:45 PM–1:00 PM: Registration and Sign-in
- 1:00 PM–3:00 PM: Presentation and Tour
- 3:00 PM–3:30 PM: Questions and Closing
BCIT Campus Map
- Due to the limited number of seats registration will be limited to 20 attendees and guest registration will not be available for this event.