- Predictive as well corrective means for system operation such as designing load shedding schemes.
- Planning optimal voltage profile and reactive power resources, spinning reserve requirements.
- Participants will gain a general understanding of system planning and operation, methods of analysis and practical solutions.
- Understand principles of operation of electrical systems and equipment;
- Know the applicable standards and design criteria;
- Know the power system analytical techniques in system planning and operation; and
- Apply sound power system analysis tools in planning and operation.
- Power system structure
- Power generation resources: thermal, nuclear, gas, diesel, wind, etc.
- Important aspects of power system operation and operating states
- Fundamental of power system planning and operation
- Importance of spinning reserve and reactive power reserve
- Challenges in system operation, remedial action schemes to differ investment
- Load shedding schemes
- Basics of power flow analysis
- Power factor correction and load control
- Application of power flow analysis
- Basics of short circuit analysis
- Power system protection
- Introduction to system dynamics
- Dynamic characteristics of power system devices
- Modeling of dynamic devices
- Transient stability, Basic concepts
- Protective relay performance
- Energy conversion and the synchronous generator theory
- Reactive power capability
- Control systems operating on synchronous generators
- Excitation requirements imposed by the generator and by the power system
- Automatic voltage regulation (AVR)
- Excitation limiters and relation to generator and system capability
- Coordinating excitation limiters and protective relays
- Power System Stabilizers (PSS)
- Elements of prime movers, Hydraulic, Steam, Gas, Diesel
- Speed governing
- Automatic generation control
Recent university graduates, practising engineers, managers involved in the design, planning, and operation of power systems.
- Practical session in which participants focus on planning and operation of power system concepts and complete exercises using typical case scenarios.
- Presentation and discussion.
- Practical examples and exercises.
- “Ali obviously knows the material very well.”
- “Dr. Ali Moshref did an excellent job at using real life examples to teach the content. He used simple terms to explain complex topics. He kept the course and topics interesting.”
- “Good presenter. Very knowledgeable.”
Partner, Principal Engineer, Power Systems and Testing, BBA Inc.
Dr. Moshref joined BBA in 2012 with over 35 years of power system experience in the energy industry, including power system planning, system operation, asset management, and alternate energy resources for power generation, and software development for the analysis of power systems.
Previously at Powertech Labs, Dr. Moshref was the Power System Studies Manager and reported to the Smart Utility Business Unit Director. Dr. Moshref developed planning and operation strategies and policies for various utilities and industrial organizations.
Early in his career, Dr. Moshref co-founded CYME International Inc. where he designed and developed more than 12 computer programs for power system analysis.
Dr. Moshref is the recipient of numerous awards from McGill University in Montréal, Quebec, the IDA World Congress on Desalination and Water Sciences in Abu Dhabi, UAE, and the NSERC Industrial Fellowship, Natural Science and Engineering Research Council of Canada.
Dr. Moshref is Senior Member of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (SMIEEE) and member of the Engineers and Geoscientists British Columbia, and a lecturer at the University of Victoria (UVic).