- How companies can start small with the implementation of AI and digital twins.
- Cultural change required for acceptance of digital twins.
- How software automates data veracity using a wide range of algorithms including AI and machine learning.
- ‘It all starts with the rock’; how geometallurgy is an important tool for mitigating production risks and improving economic performance in the modern mining industry.
- The need for miners to up skill the workforce into data science, and how those with deep industry experience will be best positioned to capitalize on these new opportunities.
- Mining Engineers
- Metallurgical Engineers
- Process Engineers
CEO, PETRA Data Science
Penny is a mining engineer and entrepreneur (BE Mining, PhD, RPEQ, AusIMM CP). In June 2015, Penny founded PETRA to extract value from mining data. PETRA has developed a suite of machine learning and optimization solutions for the global mining industry, including their flagship MAXTA digital twin value chain optimization. In 2016, PETRA collaborated with Newcrest Mining to develop and deploy some of the mining industry's first machine learning algorithms.
Penny worked on mine sites for 5 years before obtaining her Queensland 1st Class Mine Managers’ Certificate of Competency in 2000. In 2000, she commenced PhD studies at UQ’s Julius Kruttschnitt Mineral Research Centre, where she received the Ian Morley prize for Best Minerals Engineering Postgraduate student. In 2009, she instigated the application of self-organizing maps (neural networks) for the study of SLC recovery analysis. As a consultant rock mechanics engineer, she developed original regression and probabilistic models to predict geotechnical instability. In Newcrest's Innovation Group 2011–2013, she combined her operational background with advanced analytical skills, to design and execute research and innovation projects. Her open and collaborative interpersonal style, has enabled her to facilitate and implement innovative projects across diverse cultural, operational, and organizational settings.
Senior Data Scientist, PETRA Data Science
Kelly is a professional metallurgical engineer, data scientist, and longtime resident of British Columbia. Kelly is also on the executive board of the Global Mining Guidelines Group and Engineers and Geoscientists BC's Women in Engineering and Geoscience division.