This full-day workshop, split over 2 days, will be delivered interactively over Zoom, providing worskshop attendees with relevant research, case studies, and role-playing scenarios via breakout rooms focused on:
- Strategic Networking
- Why building mutually beneficial relationships are critical to successful negotiations.
- How to initiate, build, and maintain these critical networks.
- Case studies, role playing, and discussions will be used in this portion of the workshop.
- Conflict Management
- Controlling your emotions and resolving differences.
- Case studies, role playing, and discussions are required.
- Negotiation Styles
- Role play to identify one’s natural negotiation style.
- Learn about the different types of negotiation styles.
- Persuasion and influence strategies
- Negotiation strategies
- The ZOPA (zone of possible agreement), BATNA (best alternative to no agreement), anchoring, the first offer conundrum and several other strategies will be reviewed.
- Case studies, role playing, and discussions.
Participants will be placed into breakout rooms to discuss case studies. Each will be asked to engage in a role play with their negotiations partner or partners. A high degree of participation is required.
Joanna Shea and Scott Tillema
The Negotiations Collective
Joanna Shea has over 17 years of commercial and project negotiations experience in the natural resource, utilities, and infrastructure sectors. During that time, has led over $2 billion worth of acquisitions, divestments, and contract negotiations. She has project managed and negotiated agreements linked to over $1 billion in capital projects in both Canada and the United States and held senior leadership roles in negotiations, project management, resource development, and organizational restructuring. Joanna has a B.Com. from St. Francis Xavier University, is a graduate of British Petroleum’s intensive in-house Conflict and Negotiations training course, holds a Graduate Certificate in Project Leadership from Cornell University, and a Graduate Certificate in Negotiations from the Harvard School of Business. She is a co-founder of the Negotiations Collective.
Scott has 19 years of law enforcement experience in the United States and is an active Lieutenant with an agency in the Chicago area. In 2007, he was trained by the FBI in the hostage and crisis negotiations. He worked as a negotiator with one of the largest SWAT teams in the U.S. for 7 years and has been teaching crisis negotiation for 10 years. He has studied negotiation at the Harvard University Program on Negotiation, at IMD Business school and continues to receive training from the world’s top hostage negotiators. In 2016, Scott was invited to give a TEDx talk titled “The Secrets of Hostage Negotiators” which has received over 1 million views to date. Scott is a Senior Associate with the Negotiations Collective.