- To enhance participant’s knowledge on the steps for the optimization of drinking water treatment processes.
- To evaluate the effectiveness of the application of advanced technologies to improve water quality, improve water treatment processes, and reduce operating costs.
- Professionals working in the water treatment industry (Engineers, Consultants, Operators, Technologists, etc.) who are involved in the water treatment processes, and need to improve the process and reduce operating cost.
- Professionals working in the water treatment industry who want to learn about ability of optimization of water treatment processes.
Dr. Saad Jasim, Professional Engineer registered in Ontario
President, SJ Environmental Consultants (Windsor) Inc.
Dr. Jasim received his B.Sc. in chemical engineering from Baghdad University, his M.Sc. and PhD in chemical engineering from the University of Wales Swansea in the UK. He is a registered professional engineer in Ontario and in British Columbia.
Dr. Jasim serves as Manager, Utilities for the City of White Rock. He started the work to investigate and research the technologies for the new water treatment plants and initiated the discussion with the Res’eau-WaterNet, University of British Columbia, which led to signing the agreement to conduct the studies required for the design of the new water treatment plant for the removal of Arsenic and Manganese.
He is the first Canadian elected as President of the International Ozone Association.
President, SJ Environmental Consultants (Windsor) Inc., providing consulting services to municipal, private water systems, and government agencies to challenges related to water quality and water treatment. His last project was the upgrade of the Ozone System at the Windsor Utilities Commission, Windsor, ON.
He served as the Director, Great Lakes Regional Office-International Joint Commission (IJC), dealing with Water Quality issue in the Great Lakes, responsible for the operation of the Scientific and Technical programs, initiating strategic partnerships and alliances with the universities, and other stakeholders in the water industry.
Founding CEO for the Walkerton Clean Centre, he managed the establishment of the Centre and the construction of the new LEED Gold Building with a State of the Art Technology Demonstration Facility.
Served as Director, Water Quality and Production for the Windsor Utilities Commission, Windsor, ON, Canada. He proposed and implemented Ozone as a Primary Disinfectant, the first application of that size and application in the Province of Ontario, which was followed by other cities including Toronto.
Dr. Jasim is Past President of the Ontario Water Works Association; Past President of the International Ozone Association-Pan American Group (IOA-PAG); a member of the Board of Directors of the International Ozone Association, serves on the Editorial Board of Ozone Science & Engineering Journal and the Editorial Board for Water Process Engineering.
Serves as Adjunct Professor at the University of Windsor, Windsor, ON, since 1996, and served as Adjunct Research Professor at Western University, London, ON, Canada. He supervised Masters and PhD students, published and presented many papers related to water quality and treatment.
Dr. Jasim serves on the Editorial Board of Directors of; the Ozone Science & Engineering Journal (Taylor & Francis) since 2012, and the Water Process Engineering Journal (Elsevier) since 2015.
He's received the following awards for his work:
- The 2016 George Warren Fuller Award from the American Water Works Association; for Distinguished Service to Water Supply Field, for Sound Engineering Skill, Brilliant Diplomatic Talent, and for Constructive Leadership;
- Harvey Rosen Award, 2009–2010; for the Best Paper Published in Ozone: Science & Engineering Journal;
- 2008 Emerald Award, Ontario Ministry of the Environment for “Innovation brings training and knowledge to thousands of current and future water treatment professionals”;
- Engineer of the Year 2004, Professional Engineers of Ontario, Windsor-Essex Chapter; and
- The American Water Works Association 2001 “Operator’s Meritorious Service Award”, OWWA for Consistent and Outstanding Service in Providing a Quality Water Supply to the Public.