- 8:40 AM: Meet at Park Royal North shopping plaza, ground level parking lot east end, outside The Bay entrance.
- 9:15 AM: Visit the Caulfield Park shoreline exposures.
- 10:30 AM: Visit the Cypress Mountain lookout.
- 11:15 AM: Visit the Lower Capilano area, Keith Road and 3th St, and Sentinel Hill.
- 12:15 PM: Lunch break at Edgemont Village.
- 1:00 PM: Visit the Cleveland Dam loop walk.
- 2:45 PM: Visit the Berkeley Escarpment at Eliza Kutner Park.
This excursion will examine several key locations on the North Shore and provide an overview of the complex and fascinating geological history of our area. Specifically, the bedrock geology will be defined during the first three stops of the tour and presentation. Then, combining geology with major engineering work will be explored at Cleveland Dam area. At the final stop, public safety and lessons learned will be reviewed regarding the Berkeley Landslide on east of Seymour River.
Mr. Bottomer is a geological consultant with over 45 years worldwide experience in mineral exploration and resource development. He has been based in Vancouver for the last 30 years. During this period, he has worked in more than 30 countries, mainly in the Americas and Eastern Asia. He was elected to the Engineers and Geoscientists BC council for 3 terms, and has received major industry awards from AusIMM, AMEBC, and Engineers and Geoscientists BC. He currently leads a sessional field course for North Shore Elder College on the geology and history of the Vancouver region.