Registered in Australia, Hong Kong, or Ireland
Your active membership with Engineers Australia (CPEng), The Hong Kong Institution of Engineers (MHKIE), Engineers Ireland (CEng MIEI) or the Institute of Geologists of Ireland (PGeo) allows for a more streamlined process towards professional registration with Engineers and Geoscientists British Columbia. Mutual recognition agreements between Canada and these jurisdictions have been negotiated and recognize the equivalency of the accreditation systems used with the Canadian system.
Only individuals who are currently registered as a chartered engineer with Engineers Australia (CPEng) or Engineers Ireland (CEng MIEI) or registered as a professional engineer with the Hong Kong Institution of Engineers (MHKIE) or the Institute of Geologists of Ireland (PGeo).
In addition to verification of the appropriate level of membership in good standing with one of the registration bodies above, applicants for Professional Engineer or Professional Geoscientist registration or licence with Engineers and Geoscientists BC are required to complete the following:
All applicants for professional registration or licence under the terms of full professional level mobility agreement are required to complete one year of satisfactory engineering or geoscience experience in a Canadian environment.
- Applicants for Professional Engineer registration or licence should refer to the Satisfactory Engineering Experience Guidelines and the Discipline-Specific Requirements.
- Applicants for Professional Geoscientist registration or licence should refer to the Satisfactory Geoscience Experience Guideline. Engineers and Geoscientists BC recommends that applicants report geoscience experience by providing a detailed report which chronologically summarizes an individual’s employment history focusing on the projects involved and the role of the individual in relation to those projects.
English Language Competence for Practice is evaluated through:
- An essay written as part of the Professional Practice Examination.
- Comments of referees/validators.
- Comments of interviewers (if an interview is required).
All applicants must prove that they are of good character and good repute. Engineers and Geoscientists BC will review the information provided in your application to ensure that you meet these standards. To learn more about these requirements, see the page for Good Character Requirement and Registration Hearings.
Applications are made through the Online Membership Application.
- A completed application.
- *Certified proof of citizenship (citizenship card, birth certificate or current photo page passport) or Permanent Resident document.
- A chronological summary of your experience detailing at least one year of satisfactory engineering or geoscience experience in a Canadian Environment, as applicable.
- Reference forms from at least two eligible Canadian or U.S. Professional Engineer or Professional Geoscientist referees, in your discipline of registration, who can attest to your one year of experience in a Canadian Environment.
- A completed application to write the Professional Practice Examination.
- A completed Confirmation Request Form from your home jurisdiction.
* To have a copy certified, make a photocopy of your document (citizenship card, birth certificate or current passport) and ask a P.Eng., P.Geo., P.E., or Notary Public to sign and stamp it as a "true copy of the original". Alternatively, you may bring your original document and a photocopy of the document to our office to have it certified. If you cannot come in person, you can send a third party to bring in your original document, photocopy to be certified and a signed letter authorizing the individual to provide the documentation on your behalf.
|Application Fee - Professional Registration (Canadian Citizens and Permanent Residents of Canada)
|Application Fee - Non-Resident Licence
|Professional Practice Examination
||During Online Application
|Professional Practice Examination Study Kit - picked up in person
Professional Practice Examination Study Kit - mailed from Engineers and Geoscientists BC
|Annual Fee - Professional Registrants P.Eng. or P.Geo. (Canadian Citizens or Permanent Residents of Canada)
||Pro-rated, paid after registration
|Annual Fee - Non Resident Licensees P.Eng. or P.Geo.
||Pro-rated, paid after licensure
It takes approximately four to six weeks to review your application once we have received all required documents. We advise that you write the Professional Practice Examination shortly after you apply for registration to avoid delaying your registration.
Once you are granted registration or licence, Engineers and Geoscientists BC will send you a notification email, a certificate of registration/licence, and a stamp.