Who Needs a Permit to Practice

The regulatory model includes all firms in the private and public sector that engage in the practice of professional engineering or geoscience as part of their operations, including firms that only provide these services internally (this includes advice or services provided internally by an Engineers and Geoscientists BC professional registrant to another employee or individual acting on the firm’s behalf).

Firms regulated include (but are not limited to):

  • Consulting firms;
  • Natural resources, high tech and other firms engaged in engineering or geoscience work;
  • Local government (including municipalities and similar entities);
  • Manufacturers (includes fabricators, processing plants, mills, maintenance facilities, or any other firm utilizing engineers and/or geoscientists in any part of their operations);
  • Sole practitioners (an individual who practices on their own and is either incorporated or unincorporated); and
  • Ministries, Crown Corporations, and agencies named in regulation.*

If the business activity of a firm does not require the practice of professional engineering or geoscience, then the firm may not need to be registered with Engineers and Geoscientists BC.

Permit to Practice Assessment Tool

If you are unsure whether your firm should register, please use the Permit to Practice Assessment Tool below to determine if your firm requires a Permit to Practice.


  • This tool is provided for education and convenience only. It is not an official test of your firm's applicability for a Permit to Practice in BC.
  • Your responses to the survey questions will help you assess if your firm must apply for and obtain a Permit to Practice, or if more information is needed to determine applicability.
  • It is your responsibility to confirm your firm’s applicability for a Permit to Practice with Engineers and Geoscientists BC.
  1. the ministry of the minister responsible for any of the following:  
    1. Part 8 [Roads and Rights of Way] of the Forest Act; 
    2. Division 2 [Roads] of Part 3 of the Forest and Range Practices Act; 
    3. Part 4 [Highways] or 5 [Use of Highways] of the Transportation Act;  
  2. the British Columbia Safety Authority;
  3. the Oil and Gas Commission; and
  4. the Workers’ Compensation Board.

The regulations will be updated to include additional government registrants.