To apply for registration you are required to have the equivalent of graduation from a four year full time bachelors program in applied science, engineering, geoscience, science or technology.
If you do not meet the minimum academic requirements for P.Eng./P.Geo., you may meet the requirements for P.L.Eng. or P.L.Geo.
In Canada there are no accredited geoscience degrees recognized by Geoscience Canada. All applicants applying in geoscience are evaluated against the appropriate syllabus when they submit an application and fee to Engineers and Geoscientists British Columbia.
In Canada there are accredited engineering degrees recognized by Engineers Canada. Engineering degrees are also evaluated by Engineers and Geoscientists BC as either accredited or non-accredited. Detailed evaluations are completed once an application and fee are received by Engineers and Geoscientists British Columbia.
You may be granted exemption from examinations if:
- You have an undergraduate engineering degree recognized by an engineering accreditation body that has a Mutual Recognition Agreement with Engineers and Geoscientists British Columbia: Washington Accord (Must be in the list of signatories) and Commission des Titres d’Ingénieur (CTI) France.
- You have an undergraduate engineering degree and an approved postgraduate engineering degree in the same discipline as that of your undergraduate engineering degree.
- You have an undergraduate engineering degree and at least five years of engineering experience or you have graduated from an ECSA-accredited program (South Africa) prior to 1999. The decision to grant a reduction or an exemption is based on the results of a one-hour interview held at the office.
- You have an undergraduate degree or equivalent in applied science, engineering, geoscience, science or technology; and have written and passed the U.S. Fundamentals of Engineering and the Principles and Practice of Engineering exams in the discipline of registration for which you are applying. You will be required to have the State Board you passed the exam with to send confirmation to Engineers and Geoscientists British Columbia you have passed this exam.
- You have an undergraduate or post graduate engineering degree from a program on our list of Non-Accredited Reputable International Programs.
We offer a self-assessment tool for engineer applicants on our website. Based on academic and experience background the tool will determine whether an applicant should pursue a career in applied science technologist/technician field or as a professional engineer.