Geoscience Mobility Agreement

Engineers and Geoscientists British Columbia and the Association of Professional Geoscientists of Ontario (APGO) have signed a mobility agreement that allows short-term practice (also known as “incidental practice”) in one province on the basis of registration or licensure in the other.

Under the Professional Geoscience Mobility Agreement, a professional geoscientist (P.Geo.), Professional Licensee Geoscience (P.L.Geo.) or a Limited Member (P.Geo. (Limited)/G.P. (membre restreint)) registered or licensed in good standing and without disciplinary licence restrictions in any Canadian jurisdiction may provide professional geoscience services in the other province on a temporary basis for a total of no more than 45 days in a calendar year without being registered or licensed in that province, unless in-province registration is required by other legislative requirements. Professionals must also hold corporate or consulting permits or authorizations if required in their province of registration or licensure.

Currently, Engineers and Geoscientists BC and APGO are the only geoscience regulators in Canada whose legislation permits them to enter into this type of agreement.

Geoscience professionals registered with Engineers and Geoscientists BC or APGO who wish to take advantage of incidental practice under the Professional Geoscience Mobility Agreement do not need to take any specific action to do so. However, professionals:

  • Must meet all practice and ethics requirements of the “host” regulator (the province in which they are practicing temporarily),
  • Are accountable for recording and reporting to the host regulator the number of days spent providing professional geoscience services if called upon to do so (a sample recording form is downloadable here, Incidental Practice Reporting Form),
  • Must not be subject to conditions or restrictions on their practice or registration in any jurisdiction, imposed by its governing body pursuant to or pending a disciplinary proceeding, and
  • Must not have previously been refused professional registration or licensure by the host province.

Geoscience professionals with an economic nexus in the host province will not be eligible for unlicensed short-term practice and must become registered or licensed in that province.

If you believe that you are eligible for short-term unlicensed practice in British Columbia or Ontario, please refer to the information below.

About practicing in Ontario under the Professional Geoscience Mobility Agreement

Registrants or licensees with Engineers and Geoscientists BC practicing geoscience in Ontario on a short-term basis under the Professional Geoscience Mobility Agreement are subject to APGO practice and ethics requirements. For more information about practicing geoscience in Ontario, please refer to APGO directly, at or 1.877.557.2746 ext. 25.

About practicing in BC under the Professional Geoscience Mobility Agreement

APGO members practicing geoscience in British Columbia on a short-term basis under the Professional Geoscience Mobility Agreement are subject to practice and ethics requirements set by Engineers and Geoscientists BC.

Information about practicing geoscience in BC is available on this website, including professional practice information and resources, the Professional Governance Act and the Engineers and Geoscientists BC Bylaws. Please also see the list of important questions and answers about practicing geoscience in BC under the mobility agreement.