McElhanney has an exciting opportunity for a Transportation Planning and Traffic Engineer to join our team consisting of approximately 20 people providing a full range of services for roadways, highways, resource access roads, trails, airports, ferries, and port and transit systems.
In this role you will provide transportation planning and traffic engineering services for some of the highest profile, challenging and engaging transportation projects in Western Canada all while working directly for the client and liaising with stakeholders and the public. This role is ideal for an individual who is keen on identifying problems, developing creative solutions, and making recommendations using evidence-based methods. You will have excellent communication, both written and verbal, with expertise in stakeholder and public consultation. Help us understand emerging trends in travel and design transportation systems you’ll be proud to use.
Please note that the successful individual will have the flexibility to work from any of our McElhanney offices. This role offers the ability to be eligible for shareholding privileges in an employee owned company.
- Assisting with business development and preparation of proposals.
- Data collection, analysis, modelling, and forecasting of transportation system(s).
- Identify the problem, develop creative options, make recommendations using evidence-based facts to select a preferred solution that obtains broad acceptance.
- Lead public and stakeholder consultations.
- Develop business cases and reports for project approval and funding partnerships.
- Preparing conceptual and functional designs and reports for highways, interchanges, roads, construction detours, transit services and facilities, airports, ferries, and marine terminals.
- Transportation network modelling, including simulation modelling.
- Traffic Management Plans and Impact Studies.
- Transportation and/or traffic safety assessments and recommendations.
- Proficient application of traffic software, including Synchro/SimTraffic and HCM. Experience with PTV Software (Vissim, Vistro, Vissum), EMME, Sidra and other modelling software will be considered an asset.
- Mentoring and managing technical and junior professional staff participating on projects.
- Degree in civil engineering and preferably with a masters in transportation from an accredited institution and must have a minimum 10 years progressive experience in transportation planning and traffic engineering.
- Registration as a professional engineer (P.Eng.) in BC and/or Alberta (or eligibility for registration).
- Experience should include design management, business development, transportation studies, traffic impact assessments, safety studies and audits, traffic management plans, and business cases.
- Strong understanding of TAC, BC MOTI and AT design standards and transportation planning practices.
- Experience with transportation or traffic modelling and simulation software such as VISUM, VISSIM, EMME.
- Exceptional communication skills and ability to thrive in a high-performance team environment.
- George Massey Tunnel Replacement Options Assessment
- Twinning and Safety Improvements through Banff, Jasper, Yoho & Kootenay National Parks
- Highway 35 and Highway 335 Intersection Safety Review
- BC Ferry Terminal development and simulation
- E&N Rail Study
- East Stoney Network Planning Study
- Highway 1, 4, 14, 16, 97 and 99 safety related improvements
- Numerous BC Transit and TransLink transit exchanges, parking lots, park-n-ride and station improvements
- Banff Legacy Trail and Trans Canada Trail
- Jasper Tramway Upgrades
- McKnight Boulevard Corridor Study
- Various Rapid Transit Studies (Arbutus to UBC, Vancouver to the North Shore, Surrey-Langley SkyTrain, Victoria to the Westshore, 25 Avenue LRT Grade Separation Functional Planning Study, Calgary Red Line LRT Realignment Technical Development and Advisory Services for the Mobility Pricing Independent Commission and Regional Transportation Strategy)
For a full review of our projects, please visit our online portfolio: www.mcelhanney.com/portfolio
See our response to COVID 19: www.mcelhanney.com/2020/04/28/update-from-ceo/
Based in Western Canada for over 100 years, McElhanney offers innovative and practical engineering, surveying, mapping, planning, landscape architecture, and environmental services. As a 100% employee-owned and operated firm, with over 1,100 staff members in 33 locations, we are proud to offer qualified staff with shareholding options in our company. At McElhanney, we work in teams to build strong connections with our staff, clients, and local communities. Our employees enjoy working here because of our varied projects, high levels of autonomy, opportunities for career development, excellent total compensation and benefits package, and collaborating with a team of great professionals.
Our Purpose: Amaze our clients. Care for our communities. Empower our people.
If this is the opportunity for you, apply now or visit www.mcelhanney.com/careers to apply online. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.