Source: BC Hydro
Job Title: Senior Engineer, Real-Time Generation Applications
Job Number: BCH-R-8057-200626E1
Job Location: Fraser Valley Office, British Columbia, Canada
Keeping the lights on for over 4 million people across the province takes a lot of talented people doing many different jobs. From working deep in a generating station, atop a power pole, or behind a desk, whatever it is that makes you tick we offer challenging careers to help you reach your potential.
We’re investing more than $2 billion per year in major capital infrastructure projects to help meet the growing demand for safe, reliable power. We’re upgrading transmission lines, building new substations, and investing in our hydroelectric generation facilities. We aim to provide meaningful and challenging work, opportunities for growth, and a healthy work/life balance. We’ve been recognized for excellence and been named one of BC’s Top Employers and one of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers for 4 years in a row.
It’s our vision to be the most trusted, innovative utility company in North America by being smart about power in all we do.
- Maintain real-time Automatic Generation Control (AGC) application in BC Hydro Energy Management System (EMS) and other EMS generation applications such as reserve monitoring, hydro generation dispatch, dynamic scheduling, inadvertent energy calculation, and load forecast.
- Troubleshoot and resolve real-time problems related to generation applications.
- Perform ongoing generation database maintenance and modeling.
- Tune generating units for real-time close loop control in AGC.
- Participate in NERC Mandatory Reliability Standards compliance program. Gather and maintain operational compliance evidence and respond to NERC data requests.
- Provide technical support to the control room operators on generation applications, models, and real-time telemetry.
- Provide technical support on generation applications to dispatcher training simulator team to help prepare scenarios for training.
- Constantly continue to upgrade technical knowledge to keep up with most recent advancements in the relevant engineering field. This includes but not limited to Energy Management System (EMS) generation applications related knowledge and Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) application.
- Establish strong relationship with control room personnel to obtain the necessary real-time operations knowledge.
- Engage in EMS upgrade projects and other projects aimed at enhancing generation applications.
- Maintain documentation on software/database update processes.
- A degree in electrical engineering (preferably power system engineering) and be eligible for registration as a professional engineer with Engineers and Geoscientists BC. Post graduate degree (masters or PhD) in electrical engineering with specialization in power systems is an asset.
- Minimum 8 years of relevant experience in design, planning, and operation of generation resources.
- Proficiency in a variety of programming and scripting languages, including C++, Fortran, and Perl. Basic knowledge of Linux and Windows operating systems is desirable.
- Well organized, detail oriented, self-starter with structured approach for problem analysis.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills involving the ability to work cross functionally to understand requirements, present alternatives, and recommendations.
- Ability to perform effectively in high pressure situations while maintaining focus and calmness.
- Previous experience with Alstom EMS and AGC system is an asset.
- Understanding of basic real-time power system operations principles is an asset.
- Understanding of power system model and power flow applications is an asset.
Please be advised that this role has been assessed as safety sensitive and pre-qualification alcohol and drug testing will be required as a pre-condition to employment.
Interested candidates should submit their applications online at app.bchydro.com/careers/current_opp.html by July 13, 2020.
Please visit the BC Hydro “Current Opportunities” Careers page to view and apply for jobs.
You must use a supported browser, such as Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google Chrome or Safari. Your pop up blocker will also need to be disabled for the BC Hydro Careers site.
On the BC Hydro Careers site, click on the 'Apply' button in order to complete the steps to apply for this job. Please be sure to update your Candidate Profile with your current resume and include copies of your certifications, if applicable.
We're always looking for exceptional people to bring new ideas, fresh thinking, and the motivation to help shape the electricity system in BC. It's an exciting time to be a part of our team as we invest in our system and prepare to meet the challenges of tomorrow.
Our values guide our work.
- We are safe.
- We are here for our customers.
- We are one team.
- We act with integrity.
- We respect our province.
- We are forward thinking.
BC Hydro is an equal opportunity employer.