ISL requires an experienced and creative Transportation Planner to support our growing team. Subject to experience and qualifications, we will consider candidates from Intermediate level with a drive to progress their career to senior level with appropriate and proven experience that can help lead the team towards new highs.
Bring a progressive perspective and creative solutions to transportation planning problems that support our municipal and provincial client needs to manage their evolving transportation challenges. We want you to provide leading edge solutions that give our clients and the communities we work with the ability to manage their traffic issues, provide more travel choices, and design safer streets and roadways that are inclusive of everybody’s needs and meet rapidly evolving transportation demands.
We offer a different experience from many other consultants, we provide a relaxed environment where you can flourish and focus on our client’s success. We provide the flexibility and freedom to grow your career the way you want to, which keeps passionate and creative people at the company. We’re big enough to take on most projects but small enough that we know each other. The company regularly gets together every year to share, learn and have a little bit of fun at our staff development seminar. Our project manager retreat gets the leaders of our company together every year to discuss company direction, its success, and of course a little more fun.
If you have a passion to address the evolving transportation needs of our communities, we won’t hold you back! Reporting to the Manager of Transportation Planning, the Intermediate or Senior Transportation Planner will support the team as required, lead their own projects, and advance the Transportation Planning discipline at ISL.
- Proposal writing, project cost estimating, and timely delivery of successful project proposals;
- Business development through client meetings, conferences, mixers, and development of appropriate marketing materials;
- Present project successes at conferences; and
- Attend industry technical committees.
- Project management of projects of all sizes, including scope, schedule, budget and client liaison;
- Management of project teams and liaison with internal disciplines including traffic and road safety, highway design and construction, municipal engineering, landscape architecture, environmental management, structural design, public engagement, and graphic design, as well as external sub-consultants as necessary;
- Community engagement with stakeholders and the public, including event organization, attendance, presentation, and analytical support;
- Transportation data collection and analysis to document existing conditions and determine future needs;
- Author concise problem definition statements based on existing/future conditions and develop solutions that address the defined problem;
- Undertake cost benefit analysis, multi-account evaluation analysis, and author business cases to support a preferred option;
- Preparation of written material to document project work including memo’s, reports, plans, policies, briefing materials and guidelines in a clear and concise manner;
- Design for urban roadway projects including complete street improvements and other multi-modal infrastructure;
- Work with the highway design group to develop concept designs and options for urban and rural highway projects; and
- Work in accordance with Quality Management processes, ensure technical quality of deliverables, and ensure schedule milestones are achieved.
- Provide clear direction and ask for it where necessary;
- Communicate with internal and external clients and partners;
- Guide and mentor other staff members; and
- Lead by example.
- Other duties as appropriate;
- Attend ISL’s Annual Staff Development Seminar; and
- Attend ISL Project Manager Retreat.
The successful candidate will have a get it done attitude, an ability and willingness to support projects at a technical level and lead as required for project success. Role specific requirements include:
- 10+ years demonstrated experience in a relevant field, with at least 3+ years in the Lower Mainland or Vancouver Island;
- Engineering or planning degree; and
- Professional engineer or planner designation in BC.
- Familiarity with provincial, regional and local planning processes;
- Direct experience with, or at the least, familiarity with planning and design software including AutoCAD, Auto Turn, ArcGIS, Synchro, SimTraffic, Sidra, Vissim, VISUM, EMME;
- Experience using Microsoft Office;
- Knowledge of best practice and guidelines with respect to urban street design and rural roadways.
- Progressive planning perspective;
- Passionate about transportation;
- Travel in Western Canada as required;
- Excellent communication skills;
- Highly motivated; and
- BC Driver’s License.
If your first thought was ‘A Happy Client’ we'd love to meet you.
Engineers, technologists, planners, landscape architects, scientists, and their support teams that work together to deliver sustainable planning and infrastructure solutions to support the community.
- We work on fascinating projects right in our community.
- We are nimble. We integrate the right team to solve our clients' biggest challenges.
- We are social. Follow our hashtag #isllife on Twitter and Instagram or check out our YouTube Channel.
- We get together. Every year, Staff Development Seminar brings together ISLers from all over western Canada to learn, share, and connect.
- We are independent problem solvers. Employee owned and operated, we like to work hard with minimum bureaucracy.
- We encourage and reward high performance. Employer paid benefits plan, Group RRSP, and competitive salaries with opportunities for annual bonus.
Want to find out more about this or other ISL career opportunities?
Visit us online at www.islengineering.com