McElhanney Ltd. seeks a Senior Geotechnical Engineer to join our Nanaimo, BC office. This is a fantastic opportunity for a motivated and talented individual to apply and expand their geotechnical design experience and project management skills in a busy and dynamic multidisciplinary team.
- Provide senior-level geotechnical strategy, insight, and business acumen for project planning, engineering analyses, technical review, and mentorship for our growing Vancouver Island-based geotechnical team;
- Plan and coordinate field investigation programs, including drilling and test pit assessments, complete with interpretation and documentation of results, on a wide variety of transportation, municipal, land development, and resource-related geotechnical and civil engineering projects;
- Oversee the preparation of fee estimates and proposals for geotechnical projects, assist other intermediate and senior engineers with project, and client management;
- Oversee the preparation of logs, geotechnical data analyses, preparation and/or technical review of geotechnical reports and technical memos with pertinent recommendations;
- Oversee the completion of construction reviews and provision of suitable documentation for projects requiring geotechnical sign off in accordance with our Quality Management System;
- Supervise and mentor junior and intermediate professional and technical staff;
- Work cross-functionally with our civil and structural engineering, survey, and environmental departments assisting with land development, municipal, structural, and transportation projects; and
- Communicate effectively with clients, coworkers, and contractors.
- University degree in geotechnical and/or geological engineering or civil engineering with a geotechnical emphasis;
- Minimum of 15 years' of progressive experience, with proven past experience on design projects including land development, provincial highways, municipal roads, shallow and deep foundations, port facilities, retaining walls, seismic analyses, soil and rock slope stability assessments;
- Registration as a P.Eng. in BC, or eligible for registration;
- Experience in construction supervision and BC Building Code Letters of Assurance. A proven history of proper documentation, and communicating clearly and promptly in response to client or contractor’s concerns on projects considered an asset;
- Familiarity with seismic engineering and modelling is an asset;
- Familiarity with computer modeling programs used to develop designs; knowledge of AutoCAD and geotechnical software (i.e., RocScience, GeoStudio software).
- Organized, good written and verbal communication skills, attention to detail, good problem-solving skills, and general computer knowledge;
- Ability to work both independently and with a multidiscipline team in various environments is essential;
- Able to work outdoors in varied weather conditions and environments. Able to travel to and work in remote locations; some overtime will be required for this role; and
- Valid BC Driver’s Licence or equivalent.
If this is the opportunity for you, apply now or visit www.mcelhanney.com/careers to apply online. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.