Specializing in structural engineering, building science, and restoration, RJC Engineers is one of North America's leading engineering firms. With a staff of more than 550 employees in 12 locations across the country, we offer highly personalized service at the local level with the expertise, depth and resources of a large, national firm.
We are proud of our ability to balance creativity with practicality to help our clients achieve their vision, and understand that creativity starts with the ingenuity of our people. We have a culture of learning and facilitating growth of skills and capabilities; of helping our people fulfill their potential through coaching, teamwork, challenging work assignments, and open communications. We strongly believe that if you feel engaged and driven to excel, you will enjoy your daily work experience, and that will result in a level of service that will keep our clients coming back.
As a Project Engineer or Technologist in our Building Science and Restoration team, you will be faced with a myriad of challenges that will require you to be a versatile and creative thinker. A strong communicator with a driving passion for what you do, you work directly with our clients to provide cost effective, pragmatic, and imaginative solutions. You don’t shy away from a challenge and you’re not afraid to roll up your sleeves and get involved. You enjoy working freely, while looking to those around you to collaborate and problem solve.
The focus of this position will be to lead building science and restoration projects in Nanaimo and its surrounding area, from conceptual and preliminary stages of the project design through to its completion.
- Manage projects and clients from conceptual design to final completion;
- Establish and maintain successful client relationships and support ongoing business development initiatives;
- Conduct site investigations of building enclosure failures;
- Consult on new construction for building enclosure;
- Formulate building enclosure rehabilitation programs;
- Prepare financial studies/life cycle costing for buildings;
- Site investigation and evaluation of existing buildings and structures;
- Analysis of existing building components and design of new repair measures and upgrades;
- Contract administration including review of change paperwork, progress claims, and responding to RFIs;
- Preparation of bidding documents/specifications and drawings;
- Preparation of condition evaluation reports and written recommendations;
- Tendering projects to suitable contractors;
- Construction review and documentation; and
- Regular travel around Vancouver Island will be required. Occasional travel outside Vancouver Island may be required (typical service area includes Vancouver Island north of Duncan).
- Degree in civil engineering – preference may be given for those candidates with completed courses in building science; or
- Diploma or certificate from a recognized technological institute having 2 or 3 year programs in architectural, engineering or construction technology. Preference may be given for those candidates with completed courses in building science or in technology programs that are building science specific;
- Registered as a professional engineer (P.Eng.), with Engineers and Geoscientists BC; or
- Registered as an applied science technologist (AScT) or certified technician (CTech) with Applied Science Technologists and Technicians of British Columbia.
- Minimum 5 years of building enclosure experience, including both technical design and contract administration;
- Knowledge of energy efficient building principles and target-based modelling assessment is an asset;
- Experience with energy modelling software such as HOT2000, IES VE, and/or DesignBuilder is an asset;
- The ideal candidate will have local area knowledge of Nanaimo and its surrounding area; and
- Experience with public speaking is an asset.
- Excellent client relationship skills – relate to your clients with ease and build lasting relationships with your personable style;
- Accountability – take ownership of your work and can be relied upon to deliver on commitments made;
- Understands the dynamics of working in a small office environment. Willingness to work together and take on multiple roles at any one time, to ensure a projects success;
- An autonomous team player – Can equally be left to your own devices or collaborate with your peers to achieve a common goal;
- Self-motivated, fast learner with the desire to continually learn and grow;
- Strong technical writing skills with an eye for detail;
- Exceptional organizational, time-management, and project management skills;
- Excellent communication skills – Written, verbal, and non-verbal; and
- Intermediate to advanced level MS Office skills, proficient with the use of Adobe;
This position includes a comprehensive group benefits package, discretionary performance bonuses, and annual salary reviews.