Industrial Risk Specialist
Duration: Permanent, Full Time
Location: Richmond, British Columbia
Deadline date: April 6, 2020
The Risk Analysis Unit at WorkSafeBC focuses on risks to workers in BC that cannot be readily identified and analyzed using existing, internal WorkSafeBC data sources. Categories of risks include catastrophic risks, emerging risks, slow acting harms, and risks that are undetected, underreported, or misdiagnosed.
Do you have experience in identifying, assessing, and developing controls for risks in industrial environments? Have you developed and applied frameworks supporting the management of multiple risks? If this sounds like you, consider joining our growing team in the Risk Analysis Unit. As an Industrial Risk Specialist, you will lead and support risk-based projects, influence stakeholders throughout the province, and advise on risk-based strategies.
As an Industrial Risk Specialist you will:
- Identify and articulate potential risks to workers in industrial settings by sourcing and analyzing relevant information;
- Assess contributory risk factors and potential risk controls through the application of risk assessment frameworks, including bow tie analysis, HAZOP (Hazard and Operability study), FMEA (Failure Mode and Effects Analysis), processing mapping and analysis, and other risk assessment frameworks as appropriate;
- Design, develop, and implement frameworks for risk assessment and risk management, and lead the development of technical solutions for managing risk-based knowledge;
- Identify and assess regulatory frameworks relevant to contributory factors and risk control, and review regulatory frameworks in other jurisdictions;
- Lead project-based risk assessment and risk control efforts by providing direction to and monitoring a multi-disciplinary project team;
- Where required, travel within the province to liaise with government agencies, employers, professional bodies, and industry associations to inform on and influence the practical application of risk-based approaches in industrial environments; and
- Develop and deliver decision rationale for organization prioritization of risk assessment and risk control efforts.
We're looking for someone who can:
- Prioritize multiple projects in a fast-paced work environment;
- Work both independently and on a multi-disciplinary team;
- Network and build partnerships with internal and external stakeholders; and
- Exhibit superior verbal and written communication skills, and exceptional organizational skills.
Your experience and educational background:
- A master's degree in a related field and a minimum of 3 years of experience in industrial risk assessment and risk management; or
- A bachelor's degree in a related field and a minimum of 4 years of experience in industrial risk assessment and risk management;
- A recognized occupational health and safety certification is an asset (e.g., CRSP, CSP, ROH, CIH, COHN);
- A recognized certification or designation addressing aspects of risk assessment and risk management is an asset (e.g., CRM, P.Eng.);
- Working knowledge of project management practices and applications; and
- An equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered.
Please send any additional application materials via email to Talent Team by 4:30 PM on the closing date of the competition.
If you require an accommodation in the assessment process, please email HR Testing Accommodation (SM) at the time you submit your application.
At WorkSafeBC, we're dedicated to promoting safe and healthy workplaces across British Columbia. We partner with workers and employers to save lives and prevent injury, disease, and disability. When work-related injuries and diseases occur, we provide compensation, and support injured workers in their recovery, rehabilitation, and safe return to work. We also work diligently to sustain our workers compensation system for today and future generations. We're honoured to serve the 2.4 million workers and 245,000 registered employers in our province.
We recognize that our ability to make a difference relies on building a team with a rich variety of skills, knowledge, backgrounds, abilities, and experiences, and which reflects the diversity of the people we serve. We are committed to fostering a welcoming, inclusive, and supportive work culture where everyone can contribute as their best, authentic self. We encourage all qualified applicants to apply.
It's challenging, stimulating, and hugely rewarding. Our positions offer tremendous diversity and excellent opportunities for professional growth. Every day, the work we do impacts people and changes lives. What we do is important and so are the people we do it for.
Being part of WorkSafeBC means being part of a strong, committed team. Along with a competitive salary of $76,909 - $97,068 your total compensation package includes vacation, optional leave arrangements, health care and dental benefits, and contributions toward your retirement pension. As a member of our team, you'll have access to services and benefits that can help you get the most out of work—and life. Learn more about what we offer.
WorkSafeBC is an inclusive and accessible employer committed to employment equity objectives and invites applications from all qualified individuals. Only those under consideration will be contacted. If you're unsuccessful, please accept our appreciation for your interest.
This position is restricted to those legally entitled to work in Canada.
Thank you, in advance, for applying.
Please apply online at: rita.illicohodes.com/go/5e3c4e938a9aff0593ed3da3/51fc022158b70066fae49fae/en