Occupational Safety Officer - Various Locations
Duration: Permanent, Full Time
Number of Positions: 28
Location: Richmond, Burnaby, Fort St. John, Port Moody, Prince George, Terrace, Victoria
Deadline date: May 22, 2020
Our Prevention Field Services Division works with employers and workers to reduce risk and keep workplaces healthy and safe through education, consultation, and enforcement.
Do you want to help ensure every worker in this province goes home safely at the end of the day? We're looking for enthusiastic, knowledgeable, and dedicated individuals to help us build safer and healthier workplaces across British Columbia!
As an Occupational Safety Officer (OSO) you will have at least 4 years of direct hands-on industry experience, and have been involved in workplace health and safety in the following industries: agriculture, asbestos, construction, fishing, forestry, coastal falling, health care, industrial construction, oil and gas, manufacturing, retail and hospitality, trades and utilities, and transportation and warehousing.
We have positions available in the following locations:
- Port Moody: Asbestos, construction, and manufacturing.
- Richmond: Health care, manufacturing, retail and hospitality, transportation and warehousing, trades and utilities, asbestos, and wood products.
- Victoria: Construction, health care, retail and hospitality, transportation and warehousing, and trades and utilities.
- Fort St. John: Forestry, industrial construction, oil and gas, and wood products.
- Prince George: Construction, forestry, industrial construction, manufacturing, oil and gas, transportation and warehousing, trades and utilities, and wood products.
- Burnaby: Health care, manufacturing, retail and hospitality, transportation and warehousing, trades and utilities, and wood products.
- Terrace: Forestry, coastal falling, fishing, manufacturing, retail and hospitality, transportation and warehousing, trades and utilities, and wood products.
We'll be reviewing applications weekly—don't wait, apply today for roles scheduled to start June 15, 2020. Please specify in your cover letter which location(s) you prefer.
As an Occupational Safety Officer you will:
You'll partner with industry to reduce risk and keep workplaces healthy and safe through education, consultation and enforcement. You'll make a positive, tangible difference by:
- Inspecting workplaces to ensure that a safe work environment is being maintained and work procedures reflect effective accident prevention practices;
- Ensuring that there are no potential health or safety hazards to workers, that workers and the employer have been apprised of their responsibilities, and that first aid services and equipment meet current criteria.
- Writing orders to ensure compliance with the Workers Compensation Act and Occupational Health and Safety (OH&S) Regulation.
- Consulting with and educating employers, workers, and others on occupational health and safety matters.
- Partnering with industry to ensure the success of safety initiatives.
- Meet one of our Occupational Safety Officers to learn more about the job.
We're looking for people who can:
- Apply their knowledge of workplace industrial processes, equipment, and technology.
- Use their interpersonal and communication skills to convey knowledge and gain compliance on complex health and safety issues and concerns within various work environments.
- Use their critical thinking skills to analyze and evaluate unique workplace health and safety issues and identify effective mitigations and controls.
- Make and enforce timely decisions independently and objectively, using sound judgment and technical knowledge
- Professionally deal with emergencies and sensitive situations.
- Work variable hours, including Saturdays, be available for emergency call out after hours or weekends, and be willing to travel throughout the province.
- This position requires regular and punctual attendance.
Your experience and educational background:
- A minimum of 4 years of direct hands-on work experience in one of the industries listed above where you have gained broad knowledge of the industry's processes, equipment, terminology, risks, and hazards. Roles held could include superintendent, health and safety representative, owner, foreman, tradesperson, or operator.
- General knowledge of occupational health and safety as evidenced by education and/or experience in OH&S.
- Experience in preventing workplace bullying and harassment or discriminatory action is a strong asset.
To see if your resume meets the requirements for this position, please review our resume screening guidelines for this position.
Please send any additional application materials via email to Talent Team by 4:30 PM on the closing date of the competition.
If you require an accommodation in the assessment process, please email HR Testing Accommodation (SM) at the time you submit your application.
At WorkSafeBC, we're dedicated to promoting safe and healthy workplaces across British Columbia. We partner with workers and employers to save lives and prevent injury, disease, and disability. When work-related injuries and diseases occur, we provide compensation, and support injured workers in their recovery, rehabilitation, and safe return to work. We also work diligently to sustain our workers compensation system for today and future generations. We're honoured to serve the 2.4 million workers and 245,000 registered employers in our province.
We recognize that our ability to make a difference relies on building a team with a rich variety of skills, knowledge, backgrounds, abilities, and experiences, and which reflects the diversity of the people we serve. We are committed to fostering a welcoming, inclusive, and supportive work culture where everyone can contribute as their best, authentic self. We encourage all qualified applicants to apply.
It's challenging, stimulating, and hugely rewarding. Our positions offer tremendous diversity and excellent opportunities for professional growth. Every day, the work we do impacts people and changes lives. What we do is important and so are the people we do it for.
Being part of WorkSafeBC means being part of a strong, committed team. Along with a competitive salary of $76,909–$83,109, your total compensation package includes vacation, optional leave arrangements, health care and dental benefits, car allowance or company vehicle, company cell phone and laptop, and contributions toward your retirement pension. As a member of our team, you'll have access to services and benefits that can help you get the most out of work—and life. Learn more about what we offer.
If you're the successful applicant, we'll be making a conditional offer contingent upon your clearing a criminal record check under the Criminal Records Review Act. At the time of offer, you'll need to provide consent for a criminal record check. Once we receive clearance, we'll confirm your offer of employment.
WorkSafeBC is an inclusive and accessible employer committed to employment equity objectives and invites applications from all qualified individuals. Only those under consideration will be contacted. If you're unsuccessful, please accept our appreciation for your interest.
This position is restricted to those legally entitled to work in Canada.
Thank you, in advance, for applying.
Please apply online at: rita.illicohodes.com/go/5e5daeba369e00cc81b91ef7/5cb5f78826921b055276c14a/en