McElhanney has an exciting opportunity for a Senior Project Manager – Transportation Design to join our team. Our Transportation Team provides a full range of services for roads, highways, trails, and transit systems. Our transportation projects are generally located in Western Canada with capital value of $10 million to $250 million and are some of the highest profile and interesting projects ever built. Projects include but are not limited to highways, urban expressways, municipal roadways, resource roads, ferry terminals, rail and bus transit systems, land side airport, and marine ports.
As a member of our team, you will join our Transportation Team of approximately 40 people which provides preliminary and detailed engineering services including preparation of construction tender documents and services to support construction of transportation projects. You will have in-depth design guideline knowledge to take projects through every design stage, tendering, construction supervision, and contract administration. You will also play a key role in business development and supporting proposals for the pursuit of client work as part of our key client management team. This role is ideal for an individual that is a self-starter, technically strong in engineering transportation systems with the aptitude and experience to be a Design-Manager or Coordinator Professional Engineer (CPE) on a multi-disciplinary team of experts on Transportation projects.
Please note that the successful individual will have the flexibility to work from any of our McElhanney offices. This role offers the ability to be eligible for shareholding privileges in an employee owned company.
- Serve as the client contact, design manager of transportation design projects across BC and AB.
- Lead as a CPE a multidisciplinary team in preparing cost effective, accurate, and timely transportation engineering designs and drawings that meet all client and approval agency requirements and standards.
- Develop concept designs and advance them to the detailed design stage, also overseeing cost estimates.
- Prepare tender document special provisions and specifications.
- Manage transportation design projects to ensure schedules, budgets, and quality control standards are achieved.
- Collaborate with peers to manage staff workload.
- Build business relationships and prepare proposals.
- Degree in civil engineering from an accredited institution and must have a minimum 10 years progressive experience in transportation.
- Registration as a professional engineer (P.Eng.).
- Experience managing projects with a minimum capital value of $10 million.
- Experience in managing and tracking project scope, schedule, and budget.
- Proficiency in AutoCAD Civil 3D and other design software, particularly in the application of roadway and highway geometric design is an asset.
- Experience with preparation and delivery of construction level design drawing packages for transportation projects including being proficient at preparing tender documents, writing technical provisions, and reports.
- Knowledge of transportation planning and traffic would be an asset.
- Knowledge of structures, drainage, utility, hydrotechnical, geotechnical, landscaping, electrical, utilities, environmental, and construction supervision/inspection disciplines to fulfill Coordinating Engineer role.
- Able to interpret client requirements and engineer solutions.
- Working knowledge of MMCD, TAC, Alberta and BC MoTI Supplement to TAC Design Guidelines.
- Attention to detail and excellent communication skills (verbal and written).
- Ability to work independently within a busy and high-performing team.
- Experience in training/supervising/mentoring junior technical staff.
- Highway 1 Keith-Seymour Interchange and Lower Lynn connectivity Improvements, North Vancouver
- Twinning Highway 1 through Banff, Yoho, Kootenay National Parks
- Numerous Ferry Terminal Projects (Departure Bay, Swartz Bay, Tsawwassen, Horseshoe Bay, Klemtu)
- Access Roads and Bridges (Trans Mountain Pipeline, Coastal Gas Link and Prince Rupert Gas Transmission)
- YVR Roadway Approach, Richmond
- Pattullo Bridge Deck Rehabilitation, Surrey & New Westminster
- Highway 1, 4, 14, 16, 97 and 99 safety related improvements
- Numerous multi-modal transit projects, exchanges, parking lots, park-n-ride and station improvements
- Banff Legacy Trail and Trans Canada Trail
- Jasper Tramway Upgrades
For a full review of our projects, please visit our online portfolio: www.mcelhanney.com/portfolio
See our response to COVID 19: www.mcelhanney.com/2020/04/28/update-from-ceo/
Based in Western Canada for over 100 years, McElhanney offers innovative and practical engineering, surveying, mapping, planning, landscape architecture, and environmental services. As a 100% employee-owned and operated firm, with over 1,100 staff members in 33 locations, we are proud to offer qualified staff with shareholding options in our company. At McElhanney, we work in teams to build strong connections with our staff, clients, and local communities. Our employees enjoy working here because of our varied projects, high levels of autonomy, opportunities for career development, excellent total compensation and benefits package, and collaborating with a team of great professionals.
Our Purpose: Amaze our clients. Care for our communities. Empower our people.
If this is the opportunity for you, apply now or visit www.mcelhanney.com/careers to apply online. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.