Regional Hydrogeologist

Company: Ministry of Forests, Lands, Natural Resource Operations and Rural Development
Location: Surrey, British Columbia

BC Public Service
Ministry of Forests, Lands, Natural Resource Operations & Rural Development
Regional Hydrogeologist
Salary: $65,367.78–$81,773.78 annually

The Water Authorizations Unit of the South Coast Regional office of the Ministry of Forests, Lands, and Natural Resource Operations provides regional leadership in ensuring the groundwater resources of British Columbia are managed in a safe and sustainable manor. With knowledge of Ministry programs and policies, and advanced knowledge of the Water Sustainability Act, you will be responsible for the implementation, compliance, and enforcement of the Water Sustainability Act. This will include active engagement with First Nations communities on individual authorizations and broader water management issues. You will also regularly engage with federal and local governments, other provincial authorities, public, and other stakeholders.

The Regional Hydrogeologist functions as the primary regional groundwater protection expert. This role encompasses initiating and conducting complex hydrogeological assessments of wells and aquifers, including developing and using conceptual models designed to correlate groundwater with land use, and forecasting future groundwater conditions; designing and supervising local high priority groundwater quantity and quality monitoring programs through the Provincial Groundwater Observation Well Network and Ambient Groundwater Quality Monitoring Network; and participating as the Ministry’s representative on interagency groundwater committees at the regional and international levels.

Qualifications for this role include:

  • Degree in a related field (e.g., engineering, hydrogeology, geology, Earth science), or equivalent as accepted by the appropriate professional association and 5 years related work experience.
  • Registration or eligible for immediate registration as a professional engineer (P.Eng.) or as a professional geoscientist (P.Geo.) with Engineers and Geoscientists BC.

For more information and to apply before September 2, 2019, please go to: