Regular Full Time
One of BC’s Top Employers, the City of Coquitlam is the sixth largest city in BC, home to more than 150,000 residents. Our municipality continues to grow through innovative urban design, inspiring arts, culture and recreation programs, and state-of-the-art transportation systems. Our brand is built on managing our resources in a responsible and sustainable manner, while supporting a vibrant, growing regional urban centre.
The City of Coquitlam is seeking a mission-driven Environmental Education and Enforcement Manager who is passionate about environmental engagement and enforcement. The Environmental Education and Enforcement Manager will develop and implement environmental education programs corporately and for the community that support corporate sustainability goals and targets related to promoting water conservation, protecting watercourses, reducing GHG’s and solid waste, managing urban wildlife, and other environmental initiatives.
The Environmental Education and Enforcement Manager will also set environmental standards and requirements for development applications, develop and implement environmental monitoring and protection programs, and lead a team responsible for inspecting and enforcing environmental bylaw infractions.
The successful candidate will have excellent leadership skills, strong written and verbal communication and a proven track record of developing successful environmental engagement and enforcement programs and developing strong partnerships with a variety of key internal and external stakeholders including schools, community groups, and other levels of government (Conservation Officer Service, Fisheries and Oceans Canada, MetroVancouver, etc.).
- Post-Secondary degree in environmental sciences or a related discipline, or an equivalent combination of related education and experience.
- Valid professional designation or certificate in the Province of BC in biology, environmental planning, or similar discipline is desirable.
- A minimum of 5 years of related progressive experience, preferably in a municipal government setting, and can demonstrate the following skills and competencies:
- Extensive experience in developing environmental engagement and behavioral change programs.
- Experience in environmental bylaw enforcement and developing enforcement strategies.
- Sound knowledge of the principles, processes, and practices related to corporate and community policy development, environmental planning, and federal and provincial legislation.
- Considerable experience in project management and budget management.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including facilitation, collaboration, conflict resolution, and relationship building.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated leadership and management skills.
The City offers a competitive salary and an excellent benefits package. Applicants under consideration will be required to undergo a police security clearance evaluation.
Please apply online at www.coquitlam.ca/careers by 11:55 PM on September 30, 2020.
The City of Coquitlam is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.