Source: BC Hydro
Job Title: Engineering 1_Real Time Systems
Job Number: BCH-R-6952-190507E1
Job Location: Langley, British Columbia, Canada
Job Status: Full-time, Permanent
Keeping the lights on for over 4 million people across the province takes a lot of talented people doing many different jobs. From working deep in a generating station, atop a power pole, or behind a desk, whatever it is that makes you tick we offer challenging careers to help you reach your potential.
We’re investing more than $2 billion per year in major capital infrastructure projects to help meet the growing demand for safe, reliable power. We’re upgrading transmission lines, building new substations, and investing in our hydroelectric generation facilities. We aim to provide meaningful and challenging work, opportunities for growth, and a healthy work/life balance. We’ve been recognized for excellence and been named one of BC’s Top Employers and one of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers for 4 years in a row.
It’s our vision to be the most trusted, innovative utility company in North America by being smart about power in all we do.
- System administration: manage domain, assess security status and remediation of Energy Management System (EMS) for real-time power system control and all related auxiliary systems in a control centre environment;
- System integration and programming: develop interfaces to automate and integrate two different system using Java Messaging System, Web services, API, etc.;
- Troubleshooting system issues and preparation of scripting programs to facilitate administration in real-time environment;
- System integration: design, implementation, support, and documentation of interfaces between Energy Management System and auxiliary systems and applications in real-time operating environment; and
- North American Reliability Corporation (NERC) compliance—ensure that all required meeting compliance standards are met.
- The successful candidate will have a degree in electrical engineering or computer engineering recognized by Canadian universities;
- Eligibility for registration as a professional engineer with Engineers and Geoscientists BC or a direct plan for achieving eligibility for registration;
- Minimum of 2 years experience on the following:
- Scripting experience with Perl/PowerShell and Python scripting languages, and
- Programming experience in C#, C++, and java programming languages;
- A good command of both written and oral English and an ability to prepare reports and present work to a technical audience; and
- A Class 5 BC Driver’s Licence.
In addition, the following skill sets are desired:
- Programming and debugging in Linux environment;
- Understanding of computer network and security concepts;
- Familiar with Windows and Linux system administration;
- Familiar with system integration tools/environments based on Enterprise Service Bus (ESB) and Service Oriented Architecture (SOE); and
- Familiar with postgresql/Oracle relational database management systems.
This role will be based in Langley, BC. This position will be advertised internally and externally concurrently.
Please be advised that this role has been assessed as safety sensitive and pre-qualification alcohol and drug testing will be required as a pre-condition to employment.
Interested candidates should submit their applications online at app.bchydro.com/careers/current_opp.html by May 24, 2019.
To access the job posting, visit the BC Hydro “Current Opportunities” Careers page to view and apply for jobs.
You must use a supported browser, such as Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google Chrome or Safari. Your pop up blocker will also need to be disabled for the BC Hydro Careers site.
On the BC Hydro Careers site, click on the 'Apply' button in order to complete the steps to apply for this job. Please be sure to update your Candidate Profile with your current resume and include copies of your certifications, if applicable.
We're always looking for exceptional people to bring new ideas, fresh thinking, and the motivation to help shape the electricity system in BC. It's an exciting time to be a part of our team as we invest in our system and prepare to meet the challenges of tomorrow.
Our values guide our work.
- We are safe.
- We are here for our customers.
- We are one team.
- We act with integrity.
- We respect our province.
- We are forward thinking.
BC Hydro is an equal opportunity employer.