Ministry of Forests, Lands, Natural Resource Operations and Rural Development
Senior Regional Specialist, Dam Safety
This position is also posted as a STO-RE 27R Requisition 70619
An excellent senior opportunity for a dedicated professional.
The Provincial Dam Safety Program operates under a distributed organizational model with staff in Water Management Branch, Resource Stewardship Division, and each of the three regional Areas (Coast, North, and South) reporting through their own organizational structures while working as a team to meet ministry and dam safety program objectives. Staff in this program have regulatory oversight of approximately 1,900 dams across the province, many of which are high profile, high risk, and high cost. The program is coordinated through the Water Management Branch with both Victoria and regional dam safety staff having program accountabilities.
Working in a regional operations setting, this position provides specialist professional services in dam safety for an entire region or area focusing on a combination of investigative, extension, and regulatory functions for a portfolio of up to 500 dams, generally <9m in height. This position exercises the powers and authorities of both an Assistant Water Manager and a Dam Safety Officer under the Water Sustainability Act, Dam Safety Regulation and provides leadership, support, research, and professional expertise and judgment in the field of dam safety for their region, other staff in the Provincial Dam Safety Program and for the Ministry.
Explore the opportunities and value working with our team can offer you: www.youtube.com/watch?v=it-9laHaKyc&feature=youtu.be.
- Bachelor’s degree in science with specialization in earth sciences, hydrology, hydraulics or related subject areas; or
- Master’s degree in a related field as described above; or
- An equivalent combination of education and/or training and experience; and
- Full professional designation or immediately eligible for registration with Engineers and Geoscientists British Columbia as a professional geoscientist or engineer (P.Geo. or P.Eng.) or other relevant professional organization in British Columbia (RPF, P.Ag.);
- Demonstrated, progressive, and varied experience related to water resource management in British Columbia;
- Experience providing professional expertise, advice, and recommendations to other professionals, senior management, dam owners, and the public particularly with respect to dam safety;
- Experience with critical review of licensed professional reports, plans, drawings, and project proposals; and
- Experience in contract management of engineering works including enforcing contract specifications and dealing directly with construction contractors is preferred.
For more information and to apply online by August 14, 2020, please go to: bcpublicservice.hua.hrsmart.com/hr/ats/Posting/view/70717