An opportunity to join a successful company in the growing Victoria, BC construction industry. Established in 1980, SPAR is a leading Structural Engineering consulting firm on Vancouver Island. Projects are a diverse mix of structural design and field work with a focus on building with new construction technologies. Committed to enabling team members to reach their career goals and beyond, we promise a positive culture of partnering, mentoring, respect and support.
- Structural design of residential and small commercial buildings for new construction, renovations and additions.
- Performance evaluation of the strength attachment and seismic restraint of building components such as claddings, railings, glazing, mechanical and electrical equipment.
- Field investigations of building sites to assess structural failures and determine design solutions for remediation, often related to insurance claims and real estate sales.
- Working under the direction of senior engineers on tasks relating to those technical items.
- For the first two years of EIT training, focus is made on developing “hands-on” engineering skills. Primary duties are:
- Preparing structural drawings in CAD software and by hand drafting.
- Performing field reviews at construction sites of design projects while under construction to verify accuracy to design specifications.
- Structural calculations evaluating strength and deflection of components such as beams, columns, connections, shear walls, diaphragms, foundations.
- Writing reports of field inspections results.
- Quality Control activities such as writing work procedures, checklists, documentation and file organization, project list and schedule updates.
- Specialized training to strengthen skillset, such as structural design and drafting courses through colleges or industry associations.
- Bachelor of Engineering degree (Masters encouraged) from an accredited university in the civil/structural discipline and eligible for registration as an EIT in BC.
- Hands-on work experience in a construction-related setting with structural materials and tools (e.g., labour and trades work, landscaping, fabrication shop).
- Trained and experienced using AUTO CAD drafting software.
- Valid BC driver’s licence and vehicle.
Career advancement will be supported in the directions of Structural Engineering Design, Building with New Construction Technologies, Construction Management, Business Development, Business Management, and any combination there-of. We believe in developing leaders from the ground up, starting with hands-on technical operations, leading to project and client management, and then guided growth to the aspired seniority level. Staff are able to rotate through several roles in their interest areas, keeping work fresh and exciting while expanding skills and knowledge.
Spar Consultants is locally owned and operated, looking to add team members seeking a challenging and energetic workplace. A competitive pay structure with bonuses based on production will be offered commensurate with experience.
Please send application cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org
To find out more about our company, visit www.sparbc.ca.