Job Title: Senior Engineer - Civil Design
Job Number: BCH-R-6474-190308E1
Job Location: Burnaby, British Columbia, Canada
Keeping the lights on for over 4 million people across the province takes a lot of talented people doing many different jobs. From working deep in a generating station, atop a power pole, or behind a desk, whatever it is that makes you tick we offer challenging careers to help you reach your potential.
We’re investing more than $2 billion per year in major capital infrastructure projects to help meet the growing demand for safe, reliable power. We’re upgrading transmission lines, building new substations, and investing in our hydroelectric generation facilities. We aim to provide meaningful and challenging work, opportunities for growth, and a healthy work/life balance. We’ve been recognized for excellence and been named one of BC’s Top Employers and one of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers for 4 years in a row.
It's our vision to be the most trusted, innovative utility company in North America by being smart about power in all we do.
- Carry out seismic hazard calculations for Hydropower structures.
- Assisting the civil design team to develop and implement Probabilistic Seismic Hazard Analysis (PSHA).
- Assisting BC Hydro’s Civil Design division in development and implementation of hard rock correction on major capital projects.
- Prepare memos and seismic hazard technical memos.
- Perform engineering support in evaluation of existing seismic hazard curves.
- Interface with GSC regarding instrumentation and recordings of ground motions.
- Interface with external experts for review/input and seismic hazard related technical reports/memos, etc.
- Understanding of seismic instrumentation.
- Selection, modification, and manipulation of ground motions.
- Transfer of knowledge to civil design engineers through technical collaboration, training courses, etc.
- The candidate should have an undergraduate degree in engineering (structural or geological) recognized by Canadian universities in order to understand implementation of seismic hazard from an engineering perspective.
- The candidate must have a PhD degree in geophysics, seismology.
- Registered, or eligible for registration within the next 12–18 months, as a professional engineer with Engineers and Geoscientists BC.
- A minimum of 8 years relevant working experience in checking and reviewing seismic hazard for hydropower structures.
- Strong background in probability and statistics is a plus.
- Experience in development of Ground Motion Prediction equations.
- Experience in development and implementation of PSHA programs.
- Experience in site-specific seismic hazard analysis.
- Experience working with subduction earthquakes.
- Relevant research in development of seismic hazard with publications in international and national conferences and journals.
- Able to work independently and capable of supervising Junior and Intermediate engineers in seismic hazard calculations.
- Strong written, spoken, and presentation skills.
- A condition of employment is that you maintain a Driver's Licence: Class 5 In Good Standing. Please be advised that this role has been assessed as safety sensitive and pre-qualification alcohol and drug testing will be required as a pre-condition to employment.
We're always looking for exceptional people to bring new ideas, fresh thinking, and the motivation to help shape the electricity system in BC. It's an exciting time to be a part of our team as we invest in our system and prepare to meet the challenges of tomorrow.
Our values guide our work.
- We are safe.
- We are here for our customers.
- We are one team.
- We act with integrity.
- We respect our province.
- We are forward thinking.
BC Hydro is an equal opportunity employer.
Don't forget to update your Candidate Profile with your current resume and copies of your certifications. If applicable, include your Trades Qualification. This will ensure we have all the necessary information to assess your application without any delays.
Click on the 'Apply' button in order to complete the steps to apply for this job.
Interested candidates should submit their applications online at app.bchydro.com/careers/current_opp.html by March 24, 2019.
Click here to access the job posting or visit the BC Hydro “Current Opportunities” Careers page to view and apply for jobs.