Job Title: Senior Electrical Engineer - Quality Management
Job Number: BCH-R-2493-200206E1
Job Location: Burnaby, British Columbia, Canada
Keeping the lights on for over 4 million people across the province takes a lot of talented people doing many different jobs. From working deep in a generating station, atop a power pole, or behind a desk, whatever it is that makes you tick we offer challenging careers to help you reach your potential.
We’re investing more than $2 billion per year in major capital infrastructure projects to help meet the growing demand for safe, reliable power. We’re upgrading transmission lines, building new substations, and investing in our hydroelectric generation facilities.
We aim to provide meaningful and challenging work, opportunities for growth, and a healthy work/life balance. We’ve been recognized for excellence and been named one of BC’s Top Employers and one of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers for 4 years in a row.
It's our vision to be the most trusted, innovative utility company in North America by being smart about power in all we do.
- We’re looking for an experienced electrical engineer with knowledge of medium- and high-voltage electrical equipment (12 kV–550 kV) to join a team of highly skilled electrical quality management engineers. As a member of this team, you will lead the development of risk-based quality surveillance strategies for electrical equipment, coordinate project quality requirements, and perform supplier evaluation activities such as factory acceptance test witnessing and production inspections.
- Draw on your technical expertise to review and comment on manufacturer’s test plans, design risk-based quality surveillance strategies for electrical equipment, witness factory acceptance testing at supplier’s high-voltage test labs, and mentor team members;
- Be comfortable working in a high-voltage test lab and be able to apply knowledge of test specifications and standards to ensure compliance;
- Work closely with other engineering teams, supply chain, contract management, construction management, and suppliers to ensure that purchased material and services meet contractual requirements;
- Be a key player in managing supplier relationships, which includes evaluating proposals, performing supplier evaluations and surveillance activities, and monitoring supplier’s improvement plans;
- Balance your business sense, communication skills, and technical knowledge to deliver efficient, technically acceptable solutions when faced with challenges; and
- Be self-motivated and enjoy working on a variety of concurrent projects.
- A degree in electrical engineering;
- Registered or eligible for registration as a professional engineer with Engineers and Geoscientists British Columbia;
- A minimum of 8 years of work experience in electrical engineering, of which, candidates must have a minimum of 5 years’ experience directly relating to equipment manufacturing – in the design, manufacturing, testing, and/or commissioning of medium- or high-voltage electrical equipment (12 kV–550 kV);
- Proven experience demonstrating the ability to clearly scope, estimate, and direct the work of quality assurance service providers and building and sustaining strong working relationships with coworkers and suppliers;
- Superior leadership, facilitation, and negotiation skills are required;
- Well-developed and highly proficient verbal and written communications skills;
- Experience coordinating and working with other disciplines;
- Have strong computer skills and be able to learn new programs with limited formal training; and
- Possess and demonstrate a willingness and an ability to expand their abilities beyond the electrical discipline.
- A written test will be used as part of the candidate evaluation process;
- A valid passport is required as there will be some national/international travel associated with this role;
- Driver's Licence Type = Class 5 held and maintained in good standing is required; and
- Please note this is a re-bulletin. Previous candidates who applied do not need to re-apply.
We're always looking for exceptional people to bring new ideas, fresh thinking and the motivation to help shape the electricity system in BC. It's an exciting time to be a part of our team as we invest in our system and prepare to meet the challenges of tomorrow.
Our values guide our work.
- We are safe.
- We are here for our customers.
- We are one team.
- We act with integrity.
- We respect our province.
- We are forward thinking.
BC Hydro is an equal opportunity employer.
Don't forget to update your Candidate Profile with your current resume and copies of your certifications. If applicable, include your Trades Qualification. This will ensure we have all the necessary information to assess your application without any delays.
Click on the 'Apply' button in order to complete the steps to apply for this job.
Interested candidates should submit their applications online at app.bchydro.com/careers/current_opp.html by March 8, 2020.
Click here to access the job posting or visit the BC Hydro “Current Opportunities” Careers page to view and apply for jobs.