Powertech Labs Inc., BC Hydro's subsidiary that specializes in energy research, consulting, testing, and systems integration, has been serving power utilities, oil and gas companies, automotive, and electrical utility equipment manufacturers since 1989. We operate as a separate, unregulated, for profit, commercial company. In addition to providing innovative R&D, consulting, and testing services to BC Hydro, Powertech provides the majority of its services to a large and diverse array of clients across North America, and around the world. Powertech is located on an 11-acre campus in Surrey, British Columbia, and has 200+ employees. Our reach and reputation are global, and we are recognized as a leader in technology, testing, and power systems software. Our location places us close to BC Hydro, 25 kilometers from the US border, and at a gateway between Asian and North American markets. Finally, we are located in one of the most desirable locations on the globe, with all the natural beauty of British Columbia on our doorstep. We call this home.
Powertech’s brand and reputation command a dominant position in the power industry. To better serve our clients, we group our services under six market-orientated sectors: generation, transmission and distribution, substations, power systems, grid modernization, and advanced transportation. Powertech’s competitive advantage is enhanced through close collaboration between all sectors.
The company's staff consists of professional engineers, scientists, technologists, and technicians from a wide range of disciplines. These highly skilled individuals have access to 21 well-equipped, specialized laboratories. Together, the resources allow us to offer a range of forward-looking technology services to help clients advance technology, solve complex problems, and maximize asset performance.
Finally, we are customer-focused: To ensure our customers have high confidence in our services, we attract the best resources, are highly responsive and constantly strive to improve the quality and value of our services.
Powertech has an exciting and challenging opportunity for two Power System Consulting Engineers to join a team of professionals based at Powertech Labs in Surrey, BC.
Powertech’s Power Systems sector meets the need for grid security with a comprehensive suite of power system analysis tools, and with capabilities of examining and optimizing power system performance. Powertech’s flagship software package, DSATools™, incorporates leading-edge technologies for both offline (system planning) and online (near-real-time operation) dynamic security assessment of large complex power systems. The Power Systems sector also provides a wide range of technical consulting services, and the up-to-date and real-world experience in performing power system consulting studies worldwide also aids the software team in constantly improving the software tools to address new technical challenges as they emerge.
The Power System Consulting Engineer will be involved in both power system analysis software development and power system technical consulting.
- Development and implementation of computation methods and power system models in software;
- Designing, coding, testing, and documentation of software;
- Customer support and software product maintenance;
- Performing power system studies ranging from dynamic model validation, transmission planning and operation, load and generation interconnection, integration of renewables, etc.;
- Assistance in marketing and delivery of software, software projects, and consulting projects;
- Participation in research and development efforts; and
- Conducting field measurements at client’s facilities.
The successful applicant will have a master's or PhD in electrical engineering—specializing in power systems from a recognized post-secondary institution and is eligible to register as a professional engineer in the Province of British Columbia.
- Excellent knowledge in power systems analysis, modelling techniques, and computational algorithms.
- 3–4 years of experience as a Studies Engineer, Consulting Engineer or Software Engineer in a similar position or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Good knowledge in protection and control systems of rotating machines, substations, and power systems is an asset.
- General understanding of reliability standards and regulations related to power system operation, protection, grid voltage, and frequency controls.
- Proficient in power system simulation software is an asset.
- Experienced with programming in one or more of the following: C/C++, Visual Basic, Java, Python, and Matlab. Excellent knowledge in one or more of the followings is an asset: object oriented programming, C/C++ programing in Visual Studio environment and data structure.
- Experience in the application or development of commercial software.
- Demonstrated rigor in modelling safety behaviours and safety awareness for working in laboratories and the field.
- Excellent customer-service skills with ability to envision “walking in the customers’ shoes”.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent decision making capabilities.
- Excellent attention to detail and problem-solving skills.
- Good aptitude for marketing and client contacts.
- Ability to work in a dynamic and collaborative team environment.
- Ability to lead and motivate team members.
- Ability to complete engineering tasks independently.
- Ability to quickly learn and apply new concepts, principles, and solutions.
- Demonstrates dependability and commitment to projects/tasks.
- Initiative and aptitude/adaptability to solve complex and varying challenges with minimal direction.
- Focus on consistency and quality in all work activities.
- Ability to optimally adapt to a constrained schedule and perform under pressure.
- Strong multitasking and organizational skills.
Location: Surrey, BC
Job Status: Full-Time Regular
Compensation & Benefits: Powertech Labs Inc. offers a very comprehensive total rewards package based on a healthy work/life balance.
Close Date: November 1, 2020
Please note that we are recruiting for two positions.
Strong candidates with less experience may be considered for a lower level position.
Please be advised that this role has been assessed as safety sensitive and pre-qualification alcohol and drug testing will be required as a pre-condition to employment.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply, however Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
To apply, and to learn more about Powertech Labs Inc., visit our website at www.powertechlabs.com/careers.