Source: BC Hydro
Job Title: Senior Engineer - Distribution Engineering
Job Number: BCH-T-9686-190514E1
Job Location: Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Job Status: Full-time, Temporary
Keeping the lights on for over 4 million people across the province takes a lot of talented people doing many different jobs. From working deep in a generating station, atop a power pole, or behind a desk, whatever it is that makes you tick we offer challenging careers to help you reach your potential.
We’re investing more than $2 billion per year in major capital infrastructure projects to help meet the growing demand for safe, reliable power. We’re upgrading transmission lines, building new substations, and investing in our hydroelectric generation facilities. We aim to provide meaningful and challenging work, opportunities for growth, and a healthy work/life balance. We’ve been recognized for excellence and been named one of BC’s Top Employers and one of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers for 4 years in a row.
It’s our vision to be the most trusted, innovative utility company in North America by being smart about power in all we do.
- The Engineer will be part of the Vancouver Island Regional Distribution Engineering team engaging in system reinforcements, new construction and extensions of the electrical distribution system to supply domestic and commercial loads;
- Investigate, analyze, and solve a variety of engineering problems, many of which are of a more challenging and unusual nature;
- Develop innovative engineering techniques, devise new approaches, and apply existing criteria in novel ways;
- Represent the engineering function in the public consultation process. May chair meetings to address engineering problems;
- Give instructions, advice, and technical guidance to other engineers and technical support staff;
- Review work of the team and of consultants and contractors to ensure accuracy, achievement of required results, and adherence to accepted engineering practice;
- Impart engineering knowledge and develop design standards and standard equipment settings and configurations;
- Develop and maintain effective professional relationships with internal and external colleagues and clients in order to determine relative priorities, assess the impact of work on others and resolve issues of concern;
- Work under general direction, with work assigned in terms of broadly defined objectives and budget limitations. Advice of manager is sought in critical areas, which impact the work of others;
- Complete work that is accepted as accurate, with overall plans and recommendations reviewed for feasibility, soundness of judgement, and achievement of objectives; and
- Work closely with stakeholders to drive innovation, find engineering solutions that add value, address competing interests at least life cycle cost and to reach consensus.
- The successful candidate shall have a degree in electrical engineering recognized by universities in Canada;
- Registered, or eligible for immediate registration, as a professional engineer with Engineers and Geoscientists BC;
- A minimum of 8 years experience in a relevant engineering field; and
- The successful candidate must demonstrate technical knowledge in both overhead and underground electric utility distribution systems operating at voltages at or below 35kV. A broad range of distribution related skills including planning, system engineering, protection engineering, and design.
- This is a temporary position until approximately March 31, 2020 with possibility of extension;
- This position can be located in either Victoria or Burnaby, BC;
- Applicants who do not meet full qualifications or those with lesser work experience may be considered for an Intermediate Engineer role;
- This role entails occasional travel to all BC Hydro’s Vancouver Island service areas in support of project delivery; and
- A condition of employment for this job is that you maintain your Driver's Licence: Class 5 In Good Standing.
Interested candidates should submit their applications online at app.bchydro.com/careers/current_opp.html by May 31, 2019.
To access the job posting, visit the BC Hydro “Current Opportunities” Careers page to view and apply for jobs.
You must use a supported browser, such as Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google Chrome or Safari. Your pop up blocker will also need to be disabled for the BC Hydro Careers site.
On the BC Hydro Careers site, click on the 'Apply' button in order to complete the steps to apply for this job. Please be sure to update your Candidate Profile with your current resume and include copies of your certifications, if applicable.
We're always looking for exceptional people to bring new ideas, fresh thinking, and the motivation to help shape the electricity system in BC. It's an exciting time to be a part of our team as we invest in our system and prepare to meet the challenges of tomorrow.
Our values guide our work.
- We are safe.
- We are here for our customers.
- We are one team.
- We act with integrity.
- We respect our province.
- We are forward thinking.
BC Hydro is an equal opportunity employer.