We are seeking a Civil Engineer to join our team in Nanaimo, BC. This is a great opportunity for a motivated Civil Engineer who has experience leading project teams and is familiar with the Vancouver Island. This role is ideal for someone who is looking for a challenging opportunity in civil engineering, while maintaining the work/life balance that only Vancouver Island can offer.
Our ideal candidate will enjoy working with local governments, First Nations, and private industry, in a fast-paced environment. McElhanney’s culture of mentorship and career growth makes this position ideal for the successful candidate to both mentor junior staff, and to be mentored by senior management and engineering specialists within our organization.
For additional information on Vancouver Island, visit our customized Vancouver Island careers page.
- Manage civil/municipal projects. Carry out and oversee aspects of engineering design for land development and municipal projects, from proposal stage through commissioning of the work.
- Develop new business and establish strategic relationships with key clients, agencies, and partners.
- Prepare and submit superior proposals and technical reports.
- Generate invoices for clients and track against agreed client budgets.
- Manage multidisciplinary teams, providing mentorship and guidance to junior engineers and technical staff.
- Degree in civil engineering with at least 10 years of progressive experience in the design and management of land development and municipal infrastructure projects.
- Registration in good standing as a P.Eng. in British Columbia, or eligibility to be registered.
- Knowledge of Vancouver Island land development markets and processes, with strong past client relationships is an asset.
- Demonstrated sound business development and client liaison skills and a keen entrepreneurial spirit.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience with all government levels, construction contractors and developers.
- High productivity, attention to detail, and an ability to work well as a team player.
- Experience with AutoCAD and Civil3D considered an asset, as well as municipal infrastructure modeling software.
- Flexible work hours to accommodate your busy lifestyle.
- Maternity leave top-up and parental leave.
- Great benefits, including extended health and dental coverage, healthcare spending account, and RRSP matching.
- Employee and Family assistance program, which offers 24/7 support for all employees and their families either online or over the phone.
- A family-like culture that is characterized by respect and inclusion for all.
- Continuous support for your professional development and growth.
- Ability to become a shareholder in an employee owned company.
Based in Western Canada for over 100 years, McElhanney offers innovative and practical engineering, surveying, mapping, planning, landscape architecture, and environmental services. As a 100% employee-owned and operated firm, with over 1,100 staff members in 33 locations, we are proud to offer qualified staff with shareholding options in our company. At McElhanney, we work in teams to build strong connections with our staff, clients, and local communities. Our employees enjoy working here because of our varied projects, high levels of autonomy, opportunities for career development, excellent total compensation and benefits package, and collaborating with a team of great professionals.
Our Purpose: Amaze our clients. Care for our communities. Empower our people.
If this is the opportunity for you, apply now or visit www.mcelhanney.com/careers to apply online. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.