McElhanney has an exciting opportunity for a Municipal Engineer to enhance our technical leadership team in Terrace and Victoria, BC. In this role, you will serve as an analytical and strategic individual, and help guide McElhanney's operations forward. With dynamic people and mentorship skills, and a passion for technical projects, you will author McElhanney’s project delivery of diverse municipal and land development projects. This intermediate- or senior-level role is ideal for a superior communicator that can excel in a mature, privately held organization with an established multidisciplinary team.
As a professional engineer and subject matter expert of McElhanney’s Technical Team, the Municipal Engineer’s primary responsibilities are to a) lead diverse civil projects, b) provide detailed design support in production of engineering designs, drawings, and specifications, and c) coordinate and meet all client and approval agency requirements. Working closely with the Branch Manager and operational teams, the successful candidate can rely on a very capable and established senior engineering team in the execution of operations.
An Achiever, an Analytic, and a Communicator.
As an Achiever, you strive for high levels of success. You begin each day at zero and must achieve something tangible in order to feel a sense of satisfaction. You strive for achievement, no matter how large or small the project or task may be. Within your team, you are relied upon to get started on new tasks and challenges. It is the power supply that causes you to set the pace and define the levels of productivity for your work group, and what keeps you moving.
- You work to lead diverse civil projects; envision, manage, and carry out municipal engineering for various types of civil projects, from proposal stage through commissioning of the work.
- You regularly exceed client and departmental expectations, going the extra mile to complete the project in a timely and professional manner.
- You motivate others within your work team to carry out tasks and challenge norms.
As an Analytic, to you, data is second nature; you search for patterns and connections that affect one another and their outcome. You are a 3D thinker and have the ability to think about all the factors that might affect a situation. You apply your technical knowledge to questions that challenge your theories.
- You provide detailed design and support in the production of engineering designs, drawings, and specifications.
- You work to coordinate and assist in the preparation of documents required for approvals, prepare development and construction cost estimates, tender documents and contracts.
- You coordinate with other team members to ensure schedules, budgets, and quality control standards are achieved.
As a Communicator, you apply your technical expertise in a captivating manner. When the phone rings, you are the go-to person to provide expert knowledge and you create thriving relationships for McElhanney. You take concepts and design and bring it to life with images, examples, and metaphors. You find it easy to put your thoughts into words as a conversationalist and presenter.
- You develop new business opportunities and establish strategic relationships with key clients, agencies, and partners.
- You ensure all client and approval agency requirements are met.
- You develop and design proposals for project bid submissions.
- You support branch development of junior staff and oversee design details.
- You support branch strategy development and help enable and prioritize its execution.
- Degree in civil engineering from an accredited university.
- Registration in good standing as a P.Eng.
- Progressive experience in a similar role:
- 5–10 years’ at the intermediate level.
- 10+ years’ at the senior level.
- Previous success in a Consulting firm environment, experience in engineering and surveying industries are strong assets.
- Solid understanding of AutoCAD and Civil3D, as well as municipal infrastructure modeling software.
- Experience working with and for all government levels.
- Exceptional communication skills, high productivity, and attention to detail is desired.
- A track-record of building and fostering strong relationships within an organization, while delivering on performance objectives.
Based in Western Canada for over 100 years, McElhanney offers innovative and practical engineering, surveying, mapping, planning, landscape architecture, and environmental services. As a 100% employee-owned and operated firm, with over 1,100 staff members in 33 locations, we are proud to offer qualified staff with shareholding options in our company. At McElhanney, we work in teams to build strong connections with our staff, clients, and local communities. Our employees enjoy working here because of our varied projects, high levels of autonomy, opportunities for career development, excellent total compensation and benefits package, and collaborating with a team of great professionals.
Amaze our clients. Care for our communities. Empower our people.
If this is the opportunity for you, apply now or visit www.mcelhanney.com/careers to apply online. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.