Source: BC Hydro
Job Title: Engineering Technologist 2
Job Number: BCH-T-7223-181205E1
Job Location: Burnaby (Edmonds), British Columbia, Canada
Job Status: Full-time Temporary
Keeping the lights on for over 4 million people across the province takes a lot of talented people doing many different jobs. From working deep in a generating station, atop a power pole, or behind a desk, whatever it is that makes you tick we offer challenging careers to help you reach your potential.
We’re investing more than $2 billion per year in major capital infrastructure projects to help meet the growing demand for safe, reliable power. We’re upgrading transmission lines, building new substations, and investing in our hydroelectric generation facilities. We aim to provide meaningful and challenging work, opportunities for growth, and a healthy work/life balance. We’ve been recognized for excellence and been named one of BC’s Top Employers and one of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers for 4 years in a row.
It’s our vision is to be the most trusted, innovative utility company in North America by being smart about power in all we do.
- Performs a variety of complex technical, financial and support functions relating to the administration, planning, project management, design, construction, commissioning, operation and maintenance of generation, transmission and station plant by: studying and interpreting project requirements; initiating revisions to designs; using existing standards to prepare alternate design proposals for projects; reviewing drawings and tenders for accuracy and conformity to standards; initiating or creating new and revising macros or computer programs required for data collection, calculations and analysis; preparing detailed engineering drawings and other required documentation; performing a variety of technically complex calculations for related design proposals; assisting in the preparation of feasibility studies and related technical reports; performing construction planning studies; participating in general reconnaissance and selection of project sites; performing a variety of administrative and testing activities; performing troubleshooting, testing and defect and disturbance analysis; may be required to manage a variety of project tasks; may be required to respond to a variety of emergency response functions.
- Performs a full range of financial functions on a variety of large, complex, long term projects to assist in the establishment and ongoing operation of program and project budgets and funding by: reviewing overall project scope, goals and estimates required for the project; preparing and compiling the annual budgets; performing financial monitoring; advising of the procedures and requirements involved in the process; preparing a variety of progress and financial accounting reports; preparing economic analysis spreadsheets and undertaking project/program studies by creating new and adapting existing macros; preparing a variety of project schedules; preparing planning studies.
- Maintains liaison with internal and external groups such as other departments, field staff, consultants, manufacturers, suppliers, contractors, government and regulatory agencies and local interest groups concerning technical and financial aspects of assigned tasks; may be required to make presentation to the pubic regarding the financial or technical scope of projects.
- Provides drawing requirements to drafters and consultants; checks work for accuracy and conformity and gives advice on technical aspects of the work to lower level staff.
- May be required to perform a variety of related duties such as issuing drawings, initiating correspondence, maintaining project records and files, assembling a variety of drawings, material lists, maps, survey data, technical data, photographs, environmental data and related information, undertaking special studies or gathering relevant information, preparing related graphs and tabulations and performing drafting duties as required.
- Performs a variety of housekeeping functions related to assigned tasks including preparing schedules and progress reports, initiating correspondence, maintaining records and files, assembling project information and preparing technical reports.
- Performs all the functions of the Engineering Technologist 1 job.
- Performs duties of a minor nature related to the above duties which do not affect the rating of the job.
- Graduation with a diploma of technology from an institute of technology in either a civil, electrical, or mechanical discipline or an Applied Science Technologist and Technicians of BC (ASTTBC) or Engineers and Geoscientists of BC standing or equivalent.
- Additional training in team leadership is required.
- Over eight (8) years applicable experience in the design, testing and/or construction of hydro electric generation, transmission or station facilities and related equipment is required.
- This position is affiliated with the Movement of United Professionals union (MoveUP/COPE). moveuptogether.ca
- This position is with the Transmission Geotechnical Team and, in addition to the job description above, will require geotechnical skills and experience.
- This is a temporary opportunity for approximately 18 months.
- A written technical test will be conducted as part of the selection process.
- Some field work and travel will be required.
- A condition of employment for this job is that you maintain your Driver's Licence: Class 5 In Good Standing.
- This specific position will include the following duties and assets:
- Assisting in the execution of the Hazard Review Program, including ground and helicopter based inspections of the transmission system, identifying geohazard risks, documentation and tracking, and assisting in the design of mitigation of those risks.
- Planning, procuring, managing the execution of subsurface investigations including, testpitting, geotechnical drilling and sampling, rock coring and oil logging, instrumentation (piezometer and slope inclinometer) installation, instrumentation long-term monitoring and In-Situ testing.
- Providing geotechnical construction support, including subgrade inspection, backfill inspection, and advising construction managers when unexpected geotechnical conditions are encountered.
- Assisting the engineers in design work, including riprap revetment, foundation, slope stabilization, erosion mitigation, and other related design tasks.
- Maintains liaison with internal and external groups such as other departments, field staff, consultants, manufacturers, suppliers, contractors, government agencies, and local interest groups concerning technical and financial aspects of assigned work.
- Provides drawing requirements to drafters and consultants.
- Perform a variety of related duties such as issuing drawings, preparing correspondence, maintaining project records and files.
- Good working knowledge of project management principles and accounting processes.
- Ability to assist in the preparation of contracts and requisitions for proposals.
- Excellent computer applications skills for a variety of systems related to design, project costing, estimating and project management functions.
- Basic drafting skills and excellent design skills.
- Good cost estimating and scheduling skills.
- Ability to read and prepare non-routine technical reports.
- A level of fitness and outdoor experience would be an asset.
- Please be advised that this role has been assessed as safety sensitive and pre-qualification alcohol and drug testing will be required as a pre-condition to employment.
Interested candidates should submit their applications online at app.bchydro.com/careers/current_opp.html by January 6, 2019.
To access the job posting, visit the BC Hydro “Current Opportunities” Careers page to view and apply for jobs.
You must use a supported browser, such as Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google Chrome or Safari. Your pop up blocker will also need to be disabled for the BC Hydro Careers site.
On the BC Hydro Careers site, click on the 'Apply' button in order to complete the steps to apply for this job. Please be sure to update your Candidate Profile with your current resume and include copies of your certifications, if applicable.
We're always looking for exceptional people to bring new ideas, fresh thinking and the motivation to help shape the electricity system in BC. It's an exciting time to be a part of our team as we invest in our system and prepare to meet the challenges of tomorrow.
Our values guide our work.
- We are safe.
- We are here for our customers.
- We are one team.
- We act with integrity.
- We respect our province.
- We are forward thinking.
BC Hydro is an equal opportunity employer.