McElhanney Ltd. seeks an Intermediate Geotechnical Engineer to join our Courtenay, BC, office. This is a fantastic opportunity for a motivated and talented individual to expand their geotechnical design experience and project management skills in a busy and dynamic multidisciplinary team environment. For additional information on Vancouver Island, visit our customized Vancouver Island careers page.
- Planning and conducting field programs for geotechnical investigations and studies (including drilling and test pitting assessments), complete with interpretation and documentation of results, on a wide variety of transportation, municipal, land development, and resource-related geotechnical and civil engineering projects;
- Preparation of fee estimates and proposals for geotechnical projects, assist other intermediate and senior engineers with project and client management;
- Preparation of logs, analyze geotechnical data, and prepare concise geotechnical reports and technical memos with pertinent recommendations;
- Undertake construction reviews and maintain suitable documentation for projects requiring geotechnical sign off in accordance with our Quality Management System;
- Supervising and mentoring of junior technical staff;
- Work cross-functionally with our civil engineering and structural engineering department assisting with land development, municipal, structural, and transportation projects; and
- Communicate effectively with clients, coworkers, and contractors.
- University degree in geotechnical/geological engineering or civil engineering with a geotechnical emphasis;
- Minimum of 6 years' of progressive experience, with past experience on design projects such as land development, highways/roads, foundations, retaining walls, slope stability assessments, etc.;
- Registration as a P.Eng. in BC, or eligible for registration;
- Experience in construction supervision and BC Building Code Letters of Assurance. A proven history of proper documentation, and communicating clearly and promptly in response to client or contractor’s concerns on projects considered an asset;
- Familiarity with seismic engineering and modelling is an asset;
- Familiarity with computer modelling programs used to develop designs; knowledge of AutoCAD and geotechnical software (i.e., RocScience, GeoStudio software);
- Organized, good written and verbal communication skills, attention to detail, good problem-solving skills and general computer knowledge;
- Ability to work both independently and with a multidiscipline team in various environments is essential;
- Able to work outdoors in varied weather conditions and environments. Able to travel to and work in remote locations; some overtime will be required for this role; and
- Valid BC driver’s licence or equivalent.
If this is the opportunity for you, apply now or visit www.mcelhanney.com/careers to apply online. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.