The Senior Green Infrastructure Project Engineer position will provide leadership and engineering expertise to an inter-disciplinary, inter-departmental team responsible for leading the development and implementation of the City’s Integrated Rainwater Management Plan and Green Infrastructure Strategy. The Senior Green Infrastructure Project Engineer will be focused on immediate application of rainwater management and green infrastructure strategies in to current planning, design, and development reviews.
The role will support the City’s efforts to be a leader in clean water, green buildings, access to nature in the urban environment, fostering a green economy, and building a resilient city in the face of a changing climate.
- Provide leadership, forward thinking, and engineering design and implementation expertise to a team of highly motivated and inter-disciplinary professionals.
- Develop and apply frameworks to identify, evaluate, and prioritize integration of rainwater management and green infrastructure features in near term transportation and other capital design projects.
- Explore and evaluate existing and potential funding tools and economic models to support the implementation of green infrastructure.
- Develop proof-of-concept plans for implementing prototype green infrastructure installations, including designs, construction, operation, and maintenance plans, life-cycle costing, and performance monitoring and evaluation plans.
- Develop a framework, process, and metrics by which to evaluate and learn from the design, construction, maintenance, and performance of GI installations and to support continuous improvement in our implementation efforts.
- Develop a framework and processes for integrating green infrastructure in to the City’s capital design, construction, and asset management programs.
- Liaise with other City departments to coordinate the design, planning, and construction of green infrastructure.
- Provide strategic and technical support for major, city-led planning or policy initiatives that require an integrated approach to rainwater management.
- Review and provide direction on integrated rainwater management proposals for rezoning and other development applications.
- Supervise engineers and other technical staff.
- Represent the Green Infrastructure Implementation Branch in departmental and organizational strategic plans and planning programs, and
- Prepare technical reports, council reports, presentations, letters, and memos.
- Bachelor’s degree in civil, water resource, or environmental engineering.
- Minimum 8 years of experience as a professional engineer, and
- Registration or eligibility to register as a professional engineer in British Columbia.
- A sound working knowledge and experience in the application of engineering principles to the design and construction of green infrastructure and other rainwater management systems.
- Strong leadership and project management experience to effectively deal with multiple tasks of moderate complexity.
- Experience conducting development application reviews.
- Experience developing and managing consultant and construction contracts (including scopes of work, requests for proposals, and contract execution), developing budgets for infrastructure capital works, and forecasting operational and maintenance needs for capital works.
- Excellent interpersonal and written and verbal communication skills.
- Knowledge of the Regional Liquid Waste Management Plan and provincial and federal environmental regulations, and related municipal responsibilities would be an asset.
- Strong knowledge or skill in using computer software such as Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, and
- Ability to work independently and to provide professional interdisciplinary advice and technical guidance while functioning effectively in a team environment.
Application Close: March 27, 2018
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.