Source: BC Hydro
Job Title: Engineer 2 - Hydrotechnical Engineering
Job Number: BCH-T-4821-201016E1
Job Location: Burnaby, British Columbia, Canada
Keeping the lights on for over 4 million people across the province takes a lot of talented people doing many different jobs. From working deep in a generating station, atop a power pole, or behind a desk, whatever it is that makes you tick we offer challenging careers to help you reach your potential.
We’re investing more than $2 billion per year in major capital infrastructure projects to help meet the growing demand for safe, reliable power. We’re upgrading transmission lines, building new substations, and investing in our hydroelectric generation facilities. We aim to provide meaningful and challenging work, opportunities for growth, and a healthy work/life balance. We’ve been recognized for excellence and been named one of BC’s Top Employers and one of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers for 4 years in a row.
It’s our vision is to be the most trusted, innovative utility company in North America by being smart about power in all we do.
The successful candidate will participate as a member of the BC Hydro Hydrotechnical Engineering group, working with project teams and serving as Professional of Record (P.O.R.) on select tasks. The work may also include acting as Owner’s Engineer for work conducted externally, as well as being a checker for the work of others. The technical duties may include:
- River modelling;
- Hydraulic structure design and/or modelling;
- Analyses of closed conduit hydraulics;
- Water resources system modelling, including reservoir operations;
- hydrology or hydraulics; and
- Project engineering.
Responsibilities will include producing memoranda and reports documenting the technical work.
The successful candidate will have the following:
- A degree in civil or environmental engineering and registered, or eligible for immediate registration, as a professional engineer with Engineers and Geoscientists BC;
- Solid understanding of open channel and closed conduit hydraulics;
- Technical expertise in hydrologic and hydraulic analyses, as evidenced by relevant work experience, education and/or training;
- Minimum four (4) years of experience in hydrotechnical engineering (candidates with less experience and strong qualifications may also be considered at a junior level);
- Effective communication, interpersonal and presentation skills;
- Ability to manage several small projects/tasks concurrently; and
- Strong technical and report writing skills.
- Please note this is a one (1) year full time temporary position.
- A condition of employment for this job is that you maintain your Driver's License: Class 5 in Good Standing.
- Applicants who do not meet the full qualifications or those with lesser work experience may be considered for a lower level position. Please be advised that this role has been assessed as safety sensitive and pre-qualification alcohol and drug testing will be required as a pre-condition to employment.
Interested candidates should submit their applications online at app.bchydro.com/careers/current_opp.html by November 8, 2020.
Click here to access the job posting or visit the BC Hydro “Current Opportunities” Careers page to view and apply for jobs.
You must use a supported browser, such as Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google Chrome or Safari. Your pop up blocker will also need to be disabled for the BC Hydro Careers site.
On the BC Hydro Careers site, click on the 'Apply' button in order to complete the steps to apply for this job. Please be sure to update your Candidate Profile with your current resume and include copies of your certifications, if applicable.
We're always looking for exceptional people to bring new ideas, fresh thinking, and the motivation to help shape the electricity system in BC. It's an exciting time to be a part of our team as we invest in our system and prepare to meet the challenges of tomorrow.
Our values guide our work.
- We are safe.
- We are here for our customers.
- We are one team.
- We act with integrity.
- We respect our province.
- We are forward thinking.
BC Hydro is an equal opportunity employer.