Source: BC Hydro
Job Title: Specialist Engineer - Reliability Compliance
Job Number: BCH-R-2626-200304E1
Job Location: Burnaby, British Columbia, Canada
Job Status: Full Time - Permanent
Keeping the lights on for over 4 million people across the province takes a lot of talented people doing many different jobs. From working deep in a generating station, atop a power pole, or behind a desk, whatever it is that makes you tick we offer challenging careers to help you reach your potential.
We’re investing more than $2 billion per year in major capital infrastructure projects to help meet the growing demand for safe, reliable power. We’re upgrading transmission lines, building new substations, and investing in our hydroelectric generation facilities. We aim to provide meaningful and challenging work, opportunities for growth and a healthy work/life balance. We’ve been recognized for excellence and been named one of B.C.’s Top Employers and one of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers for four years in a row.
It’s our vision is to be the most trusted, innovative utility company in North America by being smart about power in all we do.
The Reliability Compliance Department provides oversight for the Mandatory Reliability Standards (MRS) adopted by the BCUC. The 120 adopted standards cover topics including real-time operations and personnel training, long term transmission system planning, protection system maintenance programs and critical infrastructure protection. Oversight includes strengthening a culture of compliance, minimizing the occurrence of violations and ensuring BC Hydro meets its legal obligations. There is an opening in the Department as the workload has been steadily increasing and the role will include evaluating strong internal controls to allow for continuous compliance, communication and training of standard compliance requirements and violation management.
- Provide coaching, guidance, and education as an MRS Program technical expert and maintain expertise and knowledge in MRS. This includes developing training materials, regular communications and governance direction.
- Identify MRS Program improvements including governance, compliance monitoring processes/procedures and provide/execute a plan for implementation.
- Manage and provide support to internal stakeholders for the successful implementation and sustainment of compliance with the North American Electric Reliability Corporation (“NERC”) & Western Electricity Coordinating Council (“WECC”) Reliability Standards (MRS).
- Develop and deliver an annual plan to analyze and monitor BC Hydro’s compliance with MRS through internal assessments. Develop and track the assessment tasks, progress and ensure timelines are met.
- Utilizes technical knowledge along with controls experience to review the quality and adequacy of compliance narratives and evidence, and strength and quality of internal controls. Identify opportunities to improve practices and tools.
- Lead noncompliance investigations, assist with developing mitigation plans and monitor/track completion.
- Develop and provide tracking information on a timely basis to decision-makers. Perform trend analysis to support or challenge reporting.
- Supports and provides direction for other MRS Program accountabilities including annual BCUC Assessment Reports for MRS adoption, National Energy Board reporting, On Site Audits, etc.
- Develop, improve and administer the MRS programs including the current MRS SharePoint sites and MRS Compliance System. Design solutions including task and violation tracking, and develops technical documentation. Provide user support and training to the stakeholders.
- Degree in Engineering or relevant discipline or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Registered, or eligible for immediate registration, as a Professional Engineer with Engineers & Geoscientists BC (EGBC).
- A minimum of 10 years of relevant reliability compliance experience in the electric utility industry.
- Demonstrated and proven experience, ability and knowledge in the following: MRS Programs in both the US and Canada, audit requirements including the ability to analyze compliance quality, accuracy and adequacy, internal control and risk management principles and frameworks, evaluate and develop controls, lead investigations and analyze and process a high volume of detailed information with accuracy.
- Self-Motivated with strong organizational skills and the ability to work effectively in a team environment as well as individually.
- Strong relationship management skills and ability to collaborate with a cross-section of internal stakeholders; demonstrate business acumen, create innovative solutions, develop action plans, implement change and champion stakeholder acceptance
- Demonstrated leadership skills including the ability to provide direction to others, and act as a resource for team members.
- Strong ability to communicate effectively, including verbal and business writing in the English language.
- Strong interpersonal communications and presentation skills including confidence in public speaking and delivering training/presentations.
- Demonstrated ability to manage relationships to balance business needs with compliance requirements and to work closely with subject matter experts to find solutions that add value and to reach consensus.
- Ability to act as a project manager; coach, mentor, motivate, and influence team members
- Strong analytical skills to set up structures for gathering relevant information and to identify and deal effectively with issues that may have significant impact on stakeholders
- Demonstrated experience in project management including estimating, cost controls and project administration.
- Please attach a Cover Letter outlining your interest in this position as part of your application.
- Please note the interview process will include an in person interview as well as a computer test.
- Applicants with lesser qualifications and relevant experience are encouraged to apply and may be considered at the appropriate level.
- Please note this is a re-bulletin and previous candidates do not need to re-apply.
Interested candidates should submit their applications online at https://app.bchydro.com/careers/current_opp.html by March 27th, 2020.
Click here to access the job posting or visit the BC Hydro “Current Opportunities” Careers page to view and apply for jobs.
You must use a supported browser, such as Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google Chrome or Safari. Your pop up blocker will also need to be disabled for the BC Hydro Careers site.
On the BC Hydro Careers site, click on the Apply button in order to complete the steps to apply for this job. Please be sure to update your Candidate Profile with your current resume and include copies of your certifications, if applicable.
We're always looking for exceptional people to bring new ideas, fresh thinking and the motivation to help shape the electricity system in B.C. It's an exciting time to be a part of our team as we invest in our system and prepare to meet the challenges of tomorrow.
Our values guide our work. Want to join us?
We are safe.
We are here for our customers.
We are one team.
We act with integrity.
We respect our province.
We are forward thinking.
BC Hydro is an equal opportunity employer.