Through this practical and informative seminar, the following topics are addressed:
- Groundwater resources (general overview, in BC, aquifer mapping system, role of groundwater in the water cycle, groundwater systems)
- Groundwater fundamentals and concepts (definitions, aquifer basic physical properties, aquifer parameters, Darcy’s Law, groundwater seepage)
- Groundwater governance in B.C. (overview of acts and regulation relevant to groundwater, current issues)
- Groundwater chemistry, water quality, and groundwater pollution issues
- Sustainable groundwater management (groundwater monitoring, aquifer protection)
- Groundwater exploration and development (approach, design considerations, role of the hydrogeologist)
- Various topics: groundwater and septic systems, groundwater at risk of containing pathogens, well and aquifer testing provisions for meeting regulatory requirements, flowing artesian wells, groundwater, and climate change
The course includes case studies, some hands-on exercises, and ample time for discussions and questions. Furthermore, a Groundwater Model will be on display (a tank in which water is being circulated by a pump, and dye is injected to visualize groundwater flow through different types of aquifer formation, interaction / connectivity between surface water and groundwater, and groundwater contamination principles). Course participants are encouraged to use and experiment with the Groundwater Model during the seminar.
Engineering, geological, and environmental professionals (Engineers and Geoscientists BC registrants or non-registrants) interested in learning about hydrogeology and groundwater management. The course is valuable for professionals who work with hydrogeologists in a team environment and / or are involved in groundwater-based water systems or construction projects above (vulnerable) aquifers. The course is not intended for hydrogeologists.
Kalwij Water Dynamics
Dr. Ineke Kalwij (P.Eng.) is a hydrogeological engineer with over 20 years of experience in the field of hydrogeology, groundwater engineering, and water management through consulting and research (academia, applied research organization). Ineke has a Ph.D. degree in groundwater engineering (system analysis and optimization), and she received formal training in Project Management (University of British Columbia). Ineke is owner of Kalwij Water Dynamics Inc. (KWD); a consulting company which specializes in a broad range of groundwater consulting services (design, investigations, project management).