- Introduction to the concept of Value Engineering: Enhancing value by employing creativity and function analysis.
- Introduction to the concepts of sustainable development.
- “Value by Design”: Integration of the traditional value engineering initiatives with the concepts of sustainable development for enhancing the holistic value of a project.
- Business case for Value by Design: From the point of view of an owner-developer and the professionals leading the project development.
- Case studies based on some of the construction projects in BC, as examples of successful application of “Value by Design”.
Introduction to the subject matter and demonstration through case studies of construction projects completed in British Columbia, wherein the speaker had direct involvement.
Chief Engineer (Civil-Structural) and Manager (CSA & EIC), Chemetics Inc. (A Worley Company)
Dr. Sukumar is a senior professional engineer/project manager with more than 25 years progressive experience in consulting, infrastructure, municipal, power, and industrial sectors. He is a strategic thinker with business acumen, a communicator, negotiator, and a professional committed to sustainability, value management, and people development. He is a P.Eng., in BC, ON, and PE/SE in Washington State, USA; and a Project Management Professional (PMP). He has a PhD in civil engineering (Dalhousie) and an MBA in Strategy and Policy (Simon Fraser University).
Sukumar has published/presented technical papers widely and given keynote addresses in International Conferences. He has delivered professional development sessions at Engineers and Geoscientists BC’s Annual General Meetings and is a regular speaker at the Society of PM Professional’s PD Seminars. Dr. Sukumar is a recipient of several recognitions including the First Annual Engineers and Geoscientists BC Sustainability Award and the “Outstanding Accomplishment of the Year” Award from the American Society of Value Engineers (SAVE) for the projects he managed. By integrating the concepts of Value Engineering and principles of Sustainable Development, he has been promoting “Value by Design” to enhance the value of the work we deliver as professional engineers.