Engineers and Geoscientists BC is proud to release the Professional Practice Guidelines - Equity, Diversity and Inclusion, coinciding with Human Rights Day, which is celebrated annually across the world on December 10. The document was created to guide professional practice related to equitable, diverse, and inclusive environments and interactions.
The guidelines were first published in 2016 to address human rights and diversity issues relevant to professional practice and have since been updated to reflect the new requirements of the Professional Governance Act (PGA) and recent societal shifts in awareness and understanding of issues related to equity, diversity, and inclusion (EDI).
The guidelines provide a high-level description of EDI concepts and challenges that may arise, and outline specific expectations and obligations for individual and firm registrants of Engineers and Geoscientists BC including:
- Expectations for contributing to inclusive workplace environments and professional interactions that are welcoming for all people;
- Expectations and obligations for registrants in relation to EDI under the PGA, and according to the organization’s Bylaws and Code of Ethics;
- Roles and responsibilities of individual and firm registrants, as related to their professional obligations;
- Current EDI best practices to consider for inclusive environments beyond professional obligations; and
- Guidance for registrants to make formal complaints as part of their Duty to Report.
Engineers and Geoscientists BC is committed to revising and updating the guidelines as required in the future to reflect the continually evolving state of EDI and its relation to the professions of engineering and geoscience.
Additionally, we are hosting a webinar in early 2022 for individual and firm registrants to receive an overview of the guidelines and ask any questions they may have. Visit the events page for more information or to register.
All professional practice guidelines and other practice-related resources are available at the Guidelines and Advisories page.