Business Name Consent
Engineers and Geoscientists BC protects the public by requiring businesses that wish to use restricted or trademarked words in their business names to obtain consent from the organization prior to registration/incorporation. Engineers and Geoscientists BC will generally grant consent to a business that has at least one person on its staff who is registered with the organization and permitted to practise the reserved practice of professional engineering and/or professional geoscience in British Columbia.
The following words have been put under restriction by the Registrar of Companies. Approval of registrations containing these words will require consent from the organization:
- Consulting Engineer *
- Earth Science
- Engineer *
- Engineering *
- Environmental Geology
- Environmental Geoscience
- Exploration Geoscience
- Petroleum Geoscience
- Professional Engineer *
- P.Eng. *
- Quaternary Geology
* These words have also been registered as official marks under the Trade Marks Act by Engineers Canada.
All businesses that wish to register a name containing a restricted word must complete an online Business Name Consent Request. Failure to gain consent from the organization prior to use of a restricted word may result in legal action. If an entity seeks to incorporate or otherwise register a new business name with the Registrar of Companies (including registering a proprietorship or partnership), the Registrar of Companies may grant a conditional approval, subject to receipt of the organization's consent to use of the restricted or trademarked word.
Step 1: Start a Consent Request Step 4: Provide Registration Number and Date
The following sets out the process for seeking such consent from Engineers and Geoscientists BC:
- The applicant begins the consent request process by starting an online Business Name Consent Request.
- If more than one professional is listed in the request, the additional professionals will receive emails containing links they can visit to submit their electronic declarations. The organization will review the consent request once all professionals (if more than one) have submitted their electronic declarations.
- If consent is granted, the applicant will receive a consent letter, by email, that the applicant can provide to the Registrar of Companies.
- Once the registration or name change process has been completed with the Registrar of Companies, the applicant must provide the organization with the Registration Number and Registration Date.
If you have questions or require any further information please contact: [email protected].